Insect Collecting Spectra

  • Robert Larsen
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 24, 2005
      I was checking the fluid levels in Cate Erbaugh's new
      KIA Spectra and noted two piles of intact air-dired
      insects collected on two metal benches located between
      the battery and headlight on the left side, and the
      other between the headlight and the neck of the
      windshield wiper fluid intake on the right side. The
      insects must have collected there over the summer in
      her weekly trips from Fort Sumner to Roswell and her
      trips to the Museum of New Mexico in Santa Fe and a
      few added trips to Amarillo and Lubbock, Texas.

      The dried insects would fill a good sized salad bowl.
      Most numerous were grasshoppers, numerous robber
      flies, butterflies, beetles, bees, drgonflies, and
      damselflies. Among the dragonflies were two male
      Blue-eyed Darners, and five Variegated Meadowhawks, 3
      males and 2 females. Of the damselflies were a male
      Plateau Spreadwing, several female Familiar Bluets,
      and an Ischnura missing the abdomen.

      There were seveal Mormon Crickets, and Painted
      Grasshoppers among the many Orthoptera. The
      butterflies were made up of mostly checkerspots and
      blues. I could only recognise a few of the beetles,
      but most were various blister beetles and darklings,
      with about 6 oragnge and black Carrion Beetles. The
      Robber Flies were the second most numerous insects in
      the pile and most appeared to be the large black
      (Microstylum galactodes) and (M. morosum) about equal
      in size to the Variegated Meadowhawk. All very
      interesting.

      R. Larsen
      Roswell, New Mexico