RE: Dragonflies and Damselflies of Sonora, Mexico

  • Mary Shepherd
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 4, 2005
      Thanks to Chris for forwarding my website information. I've been in
      contact with Bob Behrstock, who has provided identifications for my
      photos. I haven't updated the website yet, but the following are from
      his correspondence with me.

      From Bob:

      Message #1:

      "Red Rock Skimmer (Paltothemis lineatipes)

      Filigree Skimmer (Pseudoleon superbus)

      Presumably Argia funcki (No Common Name)

      Argia funcki

      (if large) Sooty Dancer (Argia lugens)

      Prob. Serpent Ringtail (Erpetogomphus natrix)
      Also the one next to it

      Are these cop. Sooty Dancers?

      Not sure about the two other Argias on sticks."

      Message #2: - includes more information on the the Argias on sticks,
      after I sent him larger photos to review.

      "The one with the fat blue shoulder stripe that tapers to the rear,
      mostly black abdomen and the black streak on the side of seg. 8 is
      Argia ulmeca (no common name).

      The big, light blue one (I'm assuming it was quite large, as these
      both are) is a female Argia. It's either funcki which has a less
      common blue morph female or A. lugens, which also has a blue morph
      female. The shoulder stripe of lugens (Sooty Dancer) is split and
      joined in the lower third so it looks a bit like an H.
      http://stephenville.tamu.edu/~fmitchel/damselfly/image/alu_1f3.htm

      I don't see that on yours so it's probably funcki.
      http://www2.ups.edu/biology/museum/Argia_funckiMF.jpg"

      Thanks to Bob for his time and interest!

      Mary Shepherd
      Fillmore, CA