Dragonflies right in Tucson

  • Rich Hoyer
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 28, 2003
      Dear Odonatics,

      The Santa Cruz "River" in Tucson, just west of Columbus Park, seems to be a
      good local place to watch odonates right now. Much of the activity seems to
      be concentrated at the edge of the willows on the west bank downstream from
      the point where a seep has created a mesquite bosque beyond the NE corner of
      the park's lake. I was here Sunday morning and again yesterday afternoon,
      and most of the bugs were at the same general area, probably because of good
      sun angle, lots of open space for hunting, and an abundance of perches. New
      for me was Red-tailed Pennant. I managed to get a photo of a female which I
      have uploaded to my folder at this group's website.

      Good Odonating,

      Rich
      ---

      Monday, October 27
      Santa Cruz River, Tucson, Pima County
      Familiar Bluet Enallagma civile 4
      Rambur's Forktail Ischnura ramburii 1
      Blue-eyed Darner Aeshna multicolor 4
      Common Green Darner Anax junius 12
      Red-tailed Pennant Brachymesia furcata 3
      Pale-faced Clubskimmer Brechmorhoga mendax 10
      Flame Skimmer Libellula saturata 2
      Roseate Skimmer Orthemis ferruginea 10
      Variegated Meadowhawk Sympetrum corruptum 20
      ---
      Rich Hoyer
      Tucson, Arizona

      Senior Field Leader