Ringtail ID?

  • Randy Emmitt
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 23, 2005
      Folks,

      I found many of these "ringtails" in Medicine Bow National Forest a few
      weeks ago in the forest as well as perching on the rocks in the North
      Platte Rive next to my campsite until 7 pm. Also I found a few of them on
      July 09, 2005 along the Colorado River in Eagle Co., Colorado. I'm stumped
      on the ID as no ringtails range into Colorado or Wyoming to my knowledge.
      See
      http://public.fotki.com/rlephoto/odes_from_out_westc/4190_ringtail_ws.html
      any help on this?

      Got lots of damselflies to ID also.

      Thanks and cheers,

      Randy Emmitt
      Durham, NC
      www.rlephoto.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 24, 2005
        Hi Randy and all,

        I concur with Robert - looks like a Pale Snaketail to me. The Snaketails have
        those 'diamonds' along the top of the abdomen, while the Ringtails will also
        have pale rings at each segment.

        The really nice thing is - this is a new county in CO for the species! See the
        Western Range map at
        http://www2.ups.edu/biology/museum/55ophsev.gif :-) If you'd be so kind as
        to record your find at Odonata Central:
        http://odonatacentral.bfl.utexas.edu/records/US_new_records.asp then Tim or I
        can 'officially' accept it.

        You might want to check the status of other dragonflies you saw there. You can
        do a 'find' for each species on my SW Dragonflies website and access the maps
        that way: http://southwestdragonflies.net/

        Nice shot Randy! And I'm glad you asked about the ID!

        Biggs Family Nesting Site http://www.sonic.net/~bigsnest