Fort Huachuca 22 June 2005

  • rbehrstock
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 22, 2005
      Dear Odesters,

      Spent a few hours at Fort Huachuca (Sierra Vista, Cochise Co., AZ)
      today scouting for my upcoming dragonfly trip for SEABA. The
      following species were noted:

      Upper Garden Canyon Picnic Area
      Hetaerina vulnerata Canyon Rubyspot
      Argia hinei Lavender Dancer
      A. lacrimans Sierra Madre Dancer
      A. plana Springwater Dancer
      A. tonto Tonto Dancer
      Hesperagrion heterodoxum Painted Damsel
      Paltothemis lineatipes Red Rock Skimmer

      Sawmill Cabin (only tiny pond below (mostly dry) main pond
      Argia hinei Lavender Dancer
      Argia munda Apache Dancer
      A. plana Springwater Dancer
      Ischnura demorsa Mexican Forktail

      Huachuca Canyon at 1.7 mi. stream crossing
      Archilestes grandis Great Spreadwing (1 female)
      Argia hinei Lavender Dancer
      A. tonto Tonto Dancer
      Hesperagrion heterodoxum Painted Damsel
      Libellula croceipennis Neon Skimmer
      Libellula saturata Flame Skimmer
      Paltothemis lineatipes Red Rock Skimmer

      Pond adjacent to Lakeside Activity Center (accompanied by the
      incessant screaming of fledgling American Coots)
      Enallagma civile Familiar Bluet
      Enallagma praevarum Arroyo Bluet
      Ischnura demorsa Mexican Forktail
      Telebasis salva Desert Firetail
      Anax junius Common Green Darner
      Rhionaeschna multicolor Blue-eyed Darner
      Erythemis collocata Western (Common) Pondhawk
      Erythrodiplax basifusca Plateau Dragonlet (1 male at pond edge)
      Libellula saturata Flame Skimmer
      Pachydiplax longipennis Blue Dasher
      Pseudoleon superbus Filigree Skimmer (1 female ovipositing
      on pond)
      Tramea lacerata Black Saddlebags
      Tramea onusta Red Saddlebags

      Best,
      Bob Behrstock
      Hereford, AZ
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 22, 2005
        RAB & others,

        NICE!
        The A. lacrimans may be new early flight data for AZ by ~3 wks (and
        therefore new for whole SW too!).

        Hope you have a great outing with SEABA group! And I hope you have
        plenty of books left! ;-)

        Kathy