More Dragonflies at Kearny Lake

  • Joanna Henry
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 14, 2005
      Hello everyone,

      I visited Kearny Lake this past weekend and the area teeming with
      Odes. The weather was partly cloudy and the temp was in the low 90s.
      There were many different damselfly species, but I'm not as familiar
      with identifying them--I'll be sure to take a field guide and
      key with me next time. As for dragonflies, I saw the following
      species:
      Black Saddlebags
      Red Saddlebags
      Blue Dasher
      Western Pondhawk
      Widow Skimmer
      Flame Skimmer
      Mexican Amberwing
      Common Green Darner

      Since I'm doing a comparative study of dragonfly flight physiology,
      I'm definitely looking forward to returning to Kearny. Does anyone
      know any other suggested dragonfly haunts (preferably in AZ) that are
      easy to access and have a variety of species?

      Cheers,
      Joanna