Ode Spots Near Tulsa OK

  • kef_jmiller
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 17, 2014
      Call this a really bad case of advance planning, but...

      It appears that I will be up in Tulsa, Oklahoma for about a week this summer.  My kids have a teen leadership church conference the third week in July.  It is cheaper for me to drive them up and back and burn some vacation days than it would for me to put them both on a plane from San Antonio.  As I do not share a church affiliation (long story) nor is there a need for me to do any volunteer work, I will be dropping them off on a Sunday, picking them up the following Saturday.  I have 5 full days in/around Tulsa and have an aim to find some odes and stretch out the photo portfolio a little bit.

      Here are my parameters:
      - Tulsa is the starting point.  Tulsa is the finishing point.  My thought right now is staying within about 2.5 hr radius of Tulsa, but I'm open to suggestion if there are some really good Ode spots.  I'm looking to stretch out the life list a little bit if possible.
      - I know it's going to be hot as blazes, so I'm thinking morning shooting but that too is open to suggestion.
      - I'm looking for places that won't mind if I carry and plunk down my tripod.  Physical disability keeps me from hand-holding anything but the smallest of lenses.

      To this point, the only solid lead I have is Oxley Nature Center in Tulsa.  Any suggestions?

      Thanks - jim
    • Troy Hibbitts
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 18, 2014
        I guess it would help knowing what species you're targeting . . . if you still need lots of pond species perhaps your time might be better spent chasing things right around Tulsa?

        However, if you want to chase rarer critters, my recommendation would be to head east into the Ozarks or south into the Oauchitas, since you have the time . . . I know its a little out of your 2.5 hour radius from Tulsa, but you could likely pick up things like Ozark Emerald (I have a pretty good spot for this in the Oauchitas), Clamp-tipped Emerald (I saw lots of these in July in Missouri), or Mocha Emerald (I have seen quite a few of these in both areas).  I also have a spot in Southern KS where I've seen Ozark Emerald, Mocha Emerald, and Orange Shadowdragon (I've got spots for the Shadowdragons in OK as well).

        Troy Hibbitts
        Brackettville, TX
      • Jim Miller
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 22, 2014
          Great questions, Troy.  I hadn't approached the trip with particular species in mind, but if I want to add to the life list I definitely need to do process of elimination.

          After a quick look at the state list on OC, I've noted significant gaps in my life list that a trip might help to cure.  There's a lengthy list of Clubtails that I have never seen (Stillwater, Bayou, Cocoa, Ashy, Oklahoma, Ozark, Interior Least, and Brimstone).  Same for Skimmers (Bleached, Red Rock, Hoary, Painted, Great Blue, Yellow-sided, Spangled, Golden-winged).  I have never seen an Emerald, Spiketail, or Shadowdragon and those would be great adds.

          The 2.5 hours is notional--if there is a really great place worth exploring that is outside of the radius, then have camera will travel.  As I work the logistics for this trip, the only things for certain is that I want to stay reasonably close to Tulsa on Monday to recover from the drive up and be in Tulsa Friday night so I can get a solid night's sleep before driving back to San Antonio on Saturday morning.

          Thanks -
          jim in San Antonio