San Manuel Pond, Pinal County, AZ -March 25th

  • douglas danforth
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 27, 2014
      Rich Bailowitz and I took a trip to check the newly discovered San Manuel pond just west of San Manuel and the San Pedro River. We had a total of 23 species which is outstanding for late March. Of that total 16 species were damselflies. It was the earliest record in Arizona by 28 days for Black Setwing. We saw one immature and two nearly pruinose males. The artesian flow into the lake is warm so that may account for the early start for odonates there. There were a surprising high number of stream damsels around the shoreline of the lake like Blue-ringed Dancer, Dusky Dancer and American Rubyspot.

      American Rubyspot (H. americana)-15
      Kiowa Dancer (A. immunda)-3
      Aztec Dancer (A. nahuana)-3
      Amethyst Dancer (A. pallens)-5
      Springwater Dancer (A. plana)-1
      Blue-ringed Dancer (A. sedula)-25
      Dusky Dancer (A. translata)-2
      Double-striped Bluet (E. basidens)-8
      Familiar Bluet (E. civile)-30
      Arroyo Bluet (E. praevarum)-60
      Pacific Forktail (I. cervulea)-1
      Mexican Forktail (I. demorsa)-4
      Black-fronted Forktail (I. denticollis)-12
      Citrine Forktail (I. hastata)-6
      Rambur's Forktail (I. ramburii)-2
      Desert Firetail (Telebasis salva)-6

      Blue-eyed Darner (R. multicolor)-8
      Flame Skimmer (L. saturata)-6
      Black Setwing (D. nigrescens)-3
      Western Pondhawk (E. collocata)-1

      At the San Pedro River we added 8 Roseate Skimmer (O. ferruginea), 2 Filigree Skimmer (P. superbus) and one Variegated Meadowhawk (S. corruptum).

      Doug Danforth
      Bisbee, AZ