03/07-09/14: Phoenix, AZ, odes

  • pierredeviche
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 9, 2014
      I checked a couple of locations around town in the past 3 days and ended up with a total of 12 species already on the wing - details below. Not a whole lot of variety yet, but things are beginning to wake up....

       1:30 PM – 3 PM

      Wild Horse Pass Stream, Maricopa Co.

      Sunny, 79 F, calm, clear

      8 species seen:

      * Common Green Darner, Anax junius: 7

      * Variegated Meadowhawk, Sympetrum corruptum: 4

      * Roseate Skimmer, Orthemis ferruginea: 5 males

      * Familiar Bluet, Enallagma civile: 25

      * Arroyo Bluet, Enallagma praevarum: 1 male - FOS

      * Citrine Forktail, Ischnura hastata: 1 male

      * Desert Forktail, Ischnura barberi: 8 - FOS

      * Rambur’s Forktail, Ischnura ramburii: 10

       1:30 PM – 2:45 PM

      Rio Salado Wetland Restoration Area, Phoenix , AZ

      Sunny, 80 F, breezy

      11 species seen:

      Common Green Darner, Anax junius: 2

      Variegated Meadowhawk, Sympetrum corruptum: 2, inc. 1 immature male

      Roseate Skimmer, Orthemis ferruginea: 4 males

      * Blue Dasher, Pachydiplax longipennis: 1 male – FOS

      * Red Saddlebags, Tramea onusta: 8 males

      Familiar Bluet, Enallagma civile: 15

      Arroyo Bluet, Enallagma praevarum: 1 male

      * Double-striped Bluet, Enallagma basidens: 1 male

      * Blue-ringed Dancer, Argia sedula: 15

      Citrine Forktail, Ischnura hastata: 5

      Rambur’s Forktail, Ischnura ramburii: common

       1:00 PM – 2:15 PM

      Papago Park , Phoenix , AZ

      Sunny, 81 F, some breeze

      8 species seen:

      Common Green Darner, Anax junius: 2

      Roseate Skimmer, Orthemis ferruginea: 5 males

      Red Saddlebags, Tramea onusta: 7 males

      Familiar Bluet, Enallagma civile: 30

      Arroyo Bluet, Enallagma praevarum: 2 males

      Double-striped Bluet, Enallagma basidens: 2+ males

      Citrine Forktail, Ischnura hastata: 6 females

      Rambur’s Forktail, Ischnura ramburii: common

      Pierre Deviche, Phoenix , AZ.

          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 11, 2014
            Now that you mention it, my limited experience with Tramea onusta in north-central New Mexico is that they can appear in early May, before the more common T. lacerata shows up at the same ponds later that month. Presumably due to our higher elevation, the kick-off of our odonate activity season lags behind the other SW states (it's still cold here).

            Jim

            James N. Stuart
            Albuquerque, NM

            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 11, 2014
              I think it does, Kathy, although I have always presumed that lacerata came north on southerly winds as well (and I suppose all the migrants do that). But I’m also wondering if there might even be something more different about their life-history strategies. It will be exciting to see how the data all add up from the MDP citizen-science programs. and continued reporting in the 24,672± places where odonate sightings are posted now.

              Dennis

              On Mar 11, 2014, at 7:38 AM, Kathy & Dave Biggs <bigsnest@...> wrote:

               I think of onusta as being more of a species that has dispersal events whenever we have prolonged warm spells, such as this non-winter, While I think of lacerata as a more set in time regular migrant. Does that make sense?
              Kathy

              California Dragonflies www.sonic.net/dragonfly
              Kathy and Dave Biggs bigsnest@... 707-823-2911
              308 Bloomfield Rd. Sebastopol, CA 95472