Oct 4 & 5, 2013, Muleshoe Ranch, Cochise Co., AZ--Mayan Setwing irony

  • jimburns1029
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 6, 2013
      Deva and I took a casita at Muleshoe Ranch this weekend, and on Friday I hiked down Hot Springs Wash from the Headquarters, past the mouth of Bass Canyon, to the mouth of Wildcat Canyon, recording 21 species. The most exciting find, between Bass and Wildcat, was 4 male Mayan Setwings and 1 female, seen briefly in tandem with one of the males, then ovipositing while guarded by the male. The most disappointing miss was Pima Dancer.

      Canyon Rubyspot--common
      Great Spreadwing--4 males, 1 female
      Arroyo Bluet--a few
      Black-and-white Damsel--common
      Desert Firetail--a few
      Powdered Dancer--common
      Lavender Dancer--common
      Spine-tipped Dancer--2
      Tarascan Dancer--8
      Springwater Dancer--common
      Fiery-eyed Dancer--common

      Blue-eyed Darner--3 males, 1 pair in wheel
      Common Green Darner--1
      Serpent Ringtail--20
      Neon Skimmer--common
      Flame Skimmer--common
      Roseate Skimmer--1 immature male
      Slough Amberwing--1
      Mayan Setwing--4 males, 1 ovipositing female
      Red Rock Skimmer--20
      Pale-faced Clubskimmer--6

      On Saturday we checked out Double R Canyon and found the water down, with only one stretch of good pools. We had half the number of species, and the only thing there not seen on Friday was Painted Damsel. Upon returning to our casita, we stopped at the two guest hot tubs and found each tub being patrolled by . . . a male Mayan Setwing! Who knew!? I have three fun images of the Hot Springs Canyon Mayan males on the first row of Recent Favorites on our website--http://jimburnsphotos.com/pages/faves.html

      Jim