Blitz Day 1

    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 4, 2013
      Hello all,

      Bob Miller did an EXCELLENT  job of finding places where the Odes were flying despite strong strong winds. We spent today in Yuma County Arizona, mostly along the Gila Rv area, and we found 20 species, 3 of which were new records. We got excellent photos and specimens for the new records...they have an asterisk before their name:
      American Rubyspot - a few males and females seen
      Powdered Dancer - quite  a few
      Blue-ringed Dancer - quite a few
      Familiar Bluet - quite a few
      Desert Forktail - 1-2 photographed
      Citrine Forktail - ~4, males and females in-hand
      Rambur's Forktail - abundant
      Common Green Darner - many, inc. tandem ovipositing
      Blue-eyed Darner - some, males and females in-hand
      White-belted Ringtail - ~3, males and females seen, photographed
      Red-tailed Pennant - a few, males and females in-hand
      Western Pondhawk - a few, males and females
      Flame Skimmer - a few, males and oviposiitng females
      *Roseate Skimmer - many, males and females
      Blue Dasher - some, male and females
      *Wandering Glider - quite a few
      Spot-winged Glider- 1-2
      Mexican Amberwing - some, males and females
      Variegated Meadowhawk - some
      *Black Saddlebags - quite a few

      There were 9 of us in the field, including Juddy Canello - a great new Oder from San Bernardino County!!

      Tomorrow we'll be on the California side of the Colorado River, in Imperial County.

      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 7, 2013
        Hello all,

        On the 2nd day, Saturday,  just like on the first, Bob Miller did an EXCELLENT job of finding places where the Odes were flying despite our again having strong strong winds.

        Several new folks joined us, so our # of participants was 13. We spent day 2 in Imperial County, CA, mostly in the Imperial Wetlands area where we had also Blitzed in 2006.

        No state or county records this day but we found 22 species. Many of us got excellent photos and a few of us collected specimens after the photos were taken
        .
        American Rubyspot - We walked IN and above the creek leading into Senator Wash and saw MANY
        Powdered Dancer - many
        Blue-ringed Dancer - many
        CA/AZ Dancers - many
        along the creek leading into Senator Wash. Photos and specimens collected but not examined yet.
        Familiar Bluet - a few
        Citrine Forktail - several along the road as we approached West Pond, males and mature and immature females in-hand
        Rambur's Forktail - abundant
        Common Green Darner - many, inc. tandem ovipositing
        Blue-eyed Darner - some, males and females in-hand
        White-belted Ringtail - several, males and females seen, photographed
        Russet-tipped Clubtail - 1 female above West Pond - the area where we got Striped Saddlebags in 2006 is mostly overgrown now
        Red-tailed Pennant - some, males and females in-hand
        Pale-faced Clubskimmer - at least 2, one in-hand
        Western Pondhawk - a few, males and females
        Flame Skimmer - a few, males and ovipositng females
        Marl Pennant - several males, in-hand
        Roseate Skimmer - many, males and females
        Blue Dasher - some, male and females
        Wandering Glider - quite a few; no Spot-winged Gliders seen
        Mexican Amberwing - quite a few, males and females
        Variegated Meadowhawk - some
        Black Saddlebags - quite a few

        I must tell you that early dinners with happy hour prices were a special treat after a day in the sun and wind!!

        AND, Kathy was able to give a program about dragonflies and esp. those in the SW to those who could attend in the Biggs' upstairs room after that.

        The next day we went on both the Arizona and the  California side of the Colorado River, in Imperial, Yuma, and then La Paz Counties. Info will arrive asap.