Jewel of the Creek, Cave Creek, Maricopa Co., Arizona

  • jimburns1029
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 23 8:16 AM
      I spent a couple hours mid-day yesterday at Jewel of the Creek. The water was as low as I've ever seen it there, and where the creek was flowing, thick vegetation made it almost impossible to access the water. The large ponds at the north and south ends were completely dry. Conditions were sunny and windy.

      Great Spreadwing—(1 male)
      Arroyo Bluet—(6 males)
      Desert Firetail --(6 males)
      Lavender Dancer-- (common, pairs in wheel & ovipositing in tandem)
      Aztec Dancer—(3 males)
      Sooty Dancer—(1 male)

      Giant Darner—(2 males)
      Common Green Darner—(2 males)
      Neon Skimmer—(4 males)
      Flame Skimmer—(6 males, 2 females)
      Comanche Skimmer—(1 male)
      Mexican Amberwing—(3 males, 1 female)
      Filagree Skimmer—(2 males, 1 female)
      Black Setwing—(1 immature male)
      Wandering Glider—(4)
      Spot-winged Glider—(2 including 1 teneral female)

      Jim