Re: [SoWestOdes] 09/14 and /15: Q Ranch, Gila Co., AZ.

    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 16, 2013
      Perhaps a small sample size, yet a report from southeastern CA listed A. junius as abundant and breeding and only a single S. corruptum. My fascination with migrants makes me think this difference is significant, and I am always looking for both similarities and differences between these two abundant migratory species. They both seem to have broad habitat tolerance and seem to live in very similar places, so a difference like this points to differences in migratory routes and/or seasonality.

      Dennis Paulson
      Seattle, WA

      On Sep 16, 2013, at 6:34 PM, <deviche@...> <deviche@...> wrote:

      Merrilee Edwards, Ken Furtado, and I spent this past weekend (09/14 and /15) at the Q Ranch in Gila Co., where we visited two cattle tanks, Bottle Springs, and Gentry and Walnut Cr. We found 17 species as follows:

      • Great Spreadwing, Archilestes grandis: common along creeks and at Bottle Springs
      • Aztec Dancer, Argia nahuana: 2 males, Walnut Creek
      • Springwater Dancer, Argia plana: common along creeks
      • Tonto Dancer, Argia tonto: 1 male, Walnut Creek
      • Familiar Bluet, Enallagma civile: common at tanks
      • Arroyo Bluet, Enallagma praevarum: same
      • Painted Damsel, Hesperagrion heterodoxum: widespread along creeks
      • Plains Forktail, Ischnura damula: common at tanks
      • Mexican Forktail, Ischnura demorsa: same; few along creeks
      • Desert Firetail, Telebasis salva: 6 males at one tank
      • Common Green Darner, Argia junius: 1 female, Gentry Creek
      • Persephone’s Darner, Aeshna persephone: ~5 at Walnut Creek; 10-15, including 1 blue morph and 2 green morph females, at Gentry Creek
      • Western Pondhawk, Erythemis collocata: 1 male at tank
      • Flame Skimmer, Libellula saturata: 2 at tank
      • Spot-winged Glider, Pantala hymenaea: 15-20 (all teneral) at one tank
      • Common Whitetail, Plathemis lydia: 8 males at tanks
      • Variegated Meadowhawk, Sympetrum corruptum: widespread at tanks; pairs ovipositing.

      Pierre Deviche, Phoenix, AZ.