Sycamore Canyon, Arizona, September 13, 2013

  • jimburns1029
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 15, 2013
      I spent most of Friday in Sycamore Canyon looking for Sabino Dancer. No luck with those, unfortunately, but I did have 17 species, encountered no rain, and marveled at how green southern Arizona is after a better than recently average monsoon season. As Doug Danforth mentioned a couple weeks ago, despite the good rains, Sycamore seemed to be running lower than I expected. I concentrated on the first mile and a half down to the "swimming hole" below the wide rock pools of the "waterfalls" area.

      Great Spreadwing--1 male
      Arroyo Bluet--20 with pairs in wheel
      Mexican Forktail--15 males, 6 females
      Painted Damsel--1 male
      Desert Firetail--common
      Lavender Dancer--common
      Amethyst Dancer--common
      Spine-tipped Dancer--5
      Springwater Dancer--15 with pairs in tandem and females ovipositing

      Giant Darner--2 males
      Serpent Ringtail--12 males
      Neon Skimmer--4 males, 1 female
      Flame Skimmer--8 males, 6 females