Bonita Creek, Graham County, AZ

  • douglas danforth
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 30, 2013
      With all of Cochise County enveloped in clouds, Greg Lasley, Martin Reid and I headed for Graham County which seemed to be the only area in SE AZ under clear skies. After getting thoroughly soaked in a downpour in Sycamore Canyon the day before, staying dry was definitely a priority. Bonita was very active except for Shadow Damsels which we dipped on. I am thinking that the recent colonization of the creek by beaver has disrupted the ecology of that damsel.
      With clouds capping the Pinaleno Mountains in the afternnon, it did not look good for getting photos of the Apache Spiketail but we headed up to Wet Canyon because it looked clear up to that elevation. Shortly after parking we got a patch of sun and an Apache Spiketail started coursing around the parking lot. Martin saw it catch a prey item and he followed to a perch where it hung for twenty minutes consuming it's meal.

      Odes seen at Bonita:

      American Rubyspot-6
      Variable Dancer-3
      Powdered Dancer-1