Sycamore Canyon, Santa Cruz County, AZ

  • douglas danforth
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 28, 2013
      Greg Lasley, Martin Reid and I went into Sycamore Canyon today. In spite of seemingly good monsoon rains the water was down and we ended walking quite aways to find running water. The Sabino Dancer population appears to be doing well however with two different spots holding both males and females and females were seen ovipositing into the algae on submerged rock faces.

      American Rubyspot-1
      Canyon Rubyspot-1
      Spine-tipped Dancer-14
      Lavender Dancer-24
      Sooty Dancer-1

      Aztec Dancer-1
      Fiery-eyed Dancer-1
      Amethyst Dancer-30
      Springwater Dancer-4
      Sabino Dancer-9
      Arroyo Bluet-8
      Mexican Forktail-6
      Desert Firetail-10

      Giant Darner-1
      Serpent Ringtail-20
      Plateau Dragonlet-1
      Neon Skimmer-5
      Flame Skimmer-8
      Red Rock Skimmer-2

      Wandering Glider-2
      Filigree Skimmer-1
      Variegated Meadowhawk-3

      Doug Danforth
      Bisbee, AZ

    • dougofbis
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 13, 2017

        Yesterday, November 12th, Rich Bailowitz, Tom Deecken and I checked out Sycamore Canyon. With its steep canyon walls you only have about three hours at the most of sun this time of year to look for odonates. We were able to find 24 species of which were three Sabino Dancers(Argia Sabino) perching on rocks at the first waterfall. This is a late date for the species in AZ. Also of note was one Cerulean Dancer(Argia anceps) and one Sierra Madre Dancer(Argia lacrimans).The population of Spine-tipped Dancers(Argia extranea) was not suffering from the shortened photoperiod or declining temperatures in November with close to a hundred seen on this trip.

        TRIP LIST

        Common Green Darner -1

        Persephone's Darner -6

        Plateau Dragonlet-5