Greenlee County, August 2,3, & 4, 2013

  • jimburns1029
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 4, 2013
      We spent three days with friends at their ranch along the Blue River, in Greenlee County, where I was able to check Blue accesses and feeder creeks for about three miles. I had 11 species, none unexpected. Numbers and diversity seemed a bit low to me, but our friends felt two events may have contributed to this: after effects (erosion and lack of ground cover) of the Wallow Fire of 2011 still have the Blue running higher and dirtier than before the fire; early last week monsoon storms caused some flooding of the Blue with attendant scouring of some riverside vegetation.

      Familiar Bluet--common in stock ponds along the Blue
      Mexican Forktail--a few
      Powdered Dancer--1 female
      Springwater Dancer--common in tributary creeks
      Sooty Dancer--common
      unidentified darner species--2
      Gray Sanddragon--1 male
      Serpent Ringtail--4 males