Bear Canyon, Saturday, July 27

  • jimburns1029
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 29, 2013
      On Saturday, July 27, full of wishful thinking, I checked out Bear Canyon on the south slope of the Huachucas (approximately 8 miles east of Parker Canyon Lake) hoping to find a Straight-tipped Ringtail which Kurt Radamaker stumbled upon there last Labor Day. No luck with that, but I had 12 species, including several interesting-to-see dragons:

      Great Spreadwing--2 males
      forktail species--1
      Amethyst Dancer--4 males, 1 female
      Springwater Dancer--several, one male being eaten by a robber fly
      Persephone's Darner--1 male, 1 female
      Giant Darner--2 males
      Serpent Ringtail--6 males
      Flame Skimmer--common
      Variegated Meadowhawk--2 males, 2 females, both ovipositing
      Red Rock Skimmer--6 males, 2 females, 1 ovipositing
      Pale-faced Clubskimmer--1 male
      Wandering Glider--2

      The robber flies were more successful at finding damsels than I. The only forktail I saw was in the maw of a robber fly and too mangled for identification even though I have a pretty good photograph.

      Lots of rain, everything very green, big Border Patrol presence.

      Jim