quick AZ trip - Chiricahuas, San Bernardino NWR, and Davis Mts (TX) 6/24-6/26

  • Troy
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 27, 2013
      Dad & I made a "rocket run" to SE AZ in order to see the Tezpi Dancers reported there by Doug Danforth . . . as it turned out, we didn't need to go that far for that particular target species.

      TEXAS: Jeff Davis Co; Davis Mts Preserve, Madera Canyon Trail . . . 6/24 & 6/26

      Late afternoon on the 24th (around 5 pm) we stopped at the Madera Canyon Picnic Area and Trail high in the Davis Mts in order to check out the stream there for Odes. There is plentiful water there right now following recent rains. It was cloudy and threatening rain when we arrived, and in fact a shower forced us out of the area after about 30 minutes of searching. Ode activity was actually fairly minimal, but about even with the 2nd to furtherest west picnic table along the stream there, we found a mature male Tezpi Dancer attending a very mature/worn female. The female was ovipositing, but the male had released her.

      On 6/26, on the way back from Arizona, we again stopped at the preserve, from about 4 pm until dark - full sun almost the entire time we were there. . . we made a more extensive search of the stream and tank on the trail, and were able to relocate the male Tezpi Dancer(presumably the same one), but did not see the female or see another. Ode activity was still rather limited along the stream, but there were lots of activity (bluets, Tramea, Anax) over the pond.

      If accepted (and I don't see why it won't be - it looked almost EXACTLY like the 3 we saw in the Chiricahuas on the 25th), this will be the 2nd Texas record for this species and a new county record.

      Our lists for each day:

      6/24
      Hetaerina americana (American Rubyspot) 1
      Argia hinei (Lavendar Dancer) 5
      Argia plana (Springwater Dancer) 3
      ARGIA TEZPI (TEZPI DANCER) 2
      Enallagma civile (Familiar Bluet) 6
      Pseudoleon superbus (Filigree Skimmer) 1
      Sympetrum corruptum (Variegated Meadowhawk) 6
      Tramea lacerata (Black Saddlebags) 1

      6/26
      Archilestes grandis (Great Spreadwing) 1
      Lestes alacer (Plateau Spreadwing) lots
      Argia fummipennis (Variable Dancer) 1
      Argia hinei (Lavender Dancer) 2
      Argia immunda (Kiowa Dancer) 1
      Argia moesta (Powdered Dancer) 2
      Argia nahuana (Aztec Dancer) 2
      Argia plana (Springwater Dancer) 10+
      Argia tezpi (Tezpi Dancer) 1
      Enallagma civile (Familiar Bluet) lots
      Enallagma praevarum (Arroyo Bluet) 20+
      Anax junius (Common Green Darner) 10+
      Anax walsinghami (Giant Darner) 1
      Rhionaeschna sp (Blue-eyed/Arroyo Darner) 1
      Progomphus borealis (Gray Sanddragon) 1
      Erythemis simplicicollis (Eastern Pondhawk) 2
      Libellula saturata (Flame Skimmer) 3
      Paltothemis lineatipes (Red Rock Skimmer) 1
      Pantala flavescens (Wandering Glider) 5-6
      Perithemis tenera (Eastern Amberwing) 1
      Sympetrum corruptum (Variegated Meadowhawk) lots
      Tramea lacerata (Black Saddlebags) 10+
      Tramea onusta (Red Saddlebags) 10+

      AZ: Cochise Co; Chiricahua Mts - 6/25

      Morning to early afternoon on 6/25, Dad & I searched various spots in the Chiricahuas - basically, E. Turkey Creek Canyon, upper Cave Creek above the SWRS, and Cave Creek just above Steward Campground. We had good numbers of Argia throughout, but little else. We did see the Tezpi, Firey-eyed, and Apache Dancers that were reported by Doug Danforth and others in the past couple of weeks. Our lists:

      East Turkey Creek Canyon -
      Argia extranea (Spine-tipped Dancer) 1-2
      Argia hinei (Lavender Dancer) 10+
      Argia lugens (Sooty Dancer) 2
      Argia plana (Springwater Dancer) lots
      Argia tonto (Tonto Dancer) 10+
      Libellula saturata (Flame Skimmer) 1
      Paltothemis lineatipes (Red Rock Skimmer) 10+

      Cave Creek 1 mile above SWRS
      Argia extranea (Spine-tipped Dancer) 10+
      Argia hinei (Lavender Dancer) 10+
      Argia lugens (Sooty Dancer) 2
      Argia munda (Apache Dancer) 2
      Argia pallens (Amethyst Dancer) 5-6
      Argia plana (Springwater Dancer) lots
      Argia tonto (Tonto Dancer) 10+
      Hesperagrion heterodoxum (Painted Damsel) 10+
      Ischnura demorsa (Mexican Forktail) 1
      Libellula saturata (Flame Skimmer) 3-4
      Paltothemis lineatipes (Red Rock Skimmer) 10+
      Plathemis lydia (Common Whitetail) 1

      Cave Creek, 100 m above Stewart Campground
      Argia extranea (Spine-tipped Dancer) 10+
      Argia hinei (Lavender Dancer) 10+
      Argia lugens (Sooty Dancer) 1
      Argia oenea (Fiery-eyed Dancer) 10+
      Argia pallens (Amethyst Dancer) 5-6
      Argia plana (Springwater Dancer) lots
      Argia tezpi (Tezpi Dancer) 3
      Argia tonto (Tonto Dancer) 1
      Enallagma praevarum (Arroyo Bluet) 2
      Ischnura demorsa (Mexican Forktail) 1
      Libellula saturata (Flame Skimmer) 10+
      Paltothemis lineatipes (Red Rock Skimmer) 10+

      In the later part of the afternoon, we went down to the San Bernardino NWR - a site I've heard is good for Claw-tipped Bluet (a species I still need to see). We struck out on that one, but did have good diversity, considering the parched conditions, and we got lifer in the CA Spreadwing - a realively young/not fully mature male found below the first fish pond along the outflow "creek":

      San Bernardino NWR -
      ARCHILESTES CALIFORNICUS (CALIFORNIA SPREADWING) 1
      Argia extranea (Spine-tipped Dancer) 1
      Argia fumipennis (Variable Dancer) 4-5
      Argia nahuana (Aztec Dancer) 4-5
      Argia pallens (Amethyst Dancer) 1
      Argia sedula (Blue-ringed Dancer) 10+
      Enallagma civile (Familiar Bluet) lots
      Enallagma praevarum (Arroyo Bluet) lots
      Ischnura demorsa (Mexican Forktail) lots
      Ischnura denticollis (Black-fronted Forktail) 1
      Telobasis salva (Desert Firetail) lots
      Anax junius (Common Green Darner) 10+
      Rhionaeschna sp (Blue-eyed/Arroyo/Turquoise-tipped Darner) 1 - flushed in bad light
      Erythemis collocata (Western Pondhawk) 1
      Erythrodiplax basifusca (Plateau Dragonlet) 1
      Libellula saturata (Flame Skimmer) 2
      Pachydiplax longipennis (Blue Dasher) lots
      Pantala flavescens (Wandering Glider) 1-2
      Perithemis intensa (Mexican Amberwing) 4
      Plathemis lydia (Common Whitetail) 1
      Tramea lacerata (Black Saddlebags) 10+
      Tramea onusta (Red Saddlebags) 1

      Troy Hibbitts