06/15: Verde River pond, Maricopa Co., AZ: CHECKERED SETWING

  • pierredeviche
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 16, 2013
      Yesterday afternoon (06/15; 2:15 PM – 4 PM) my wife and I visited an
      artificial pond along the Verde River just E. of Fountain Hills
      (location: Verde River Pond
      <http://azdragonfly.net/location/pond-along-verde-river-east-fountain-hi\
      lls> ) where we found 11 species (details below) including Marl Pennants
      and Checkered Setwings (News: Checkered SW
      <http://azdragonfly.net/news/366> ). The latter observation provides a
      new county record for this species.

      It was a bit on the warm side (105 F) and most dragonflies (except Marl
      Pennants, a couple of Red-tailed Pennants, and some of the Blue Dashers,
      seen in the sun along the shore) were hunkered down in the shade, in
      trees along the N. side of the pond, making for easy observation but
      suboptimal photography conditions.

      * Widow Skimmer, Libellula luctuosa: 40
      * Flame Skimmer, Libellula saturata: 1
      * Comanche Skimmer, Libellula comanche: 1
      * Blue Dasher, Pachydiplax longipennis: common
      * Western Pondhawk, Erythemis collocata: widespread
      * Red-tailed Pennant, Brachymesia furcata: 6
      * Black Saddlebags, Tramea lacerata: 15
      * Checkered Setwing, Dythemis fugax: 5
      * Black Setwing, Dythemis nigrescens: 1 female
      * Marl Pennant, Macrodiplax balteata:3 males
      * Double-striped Bluet, Enallagma basidens: 1 male

      Pierre Deviche, Phoenix, AZ.