Arizona CERULEAN DANCER: Part 2.

  • pierredeviche
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 3, 2013
      Following Rich Bailowitz' and Doug Danforth's recent discovery
      of a subadult male Cerulean Dancer (Argia anceps) in SE Arizona, and as
      this species closely resembles the Sierra Madre Dancer (A. lacrimans), I
      decided to take another look at all my "Sierra Madre" Dancer
      pictures taken in the state – just in case.

      And, wouldn't you know it, a male photographed last Sept. in
      Sycamore Canyon (Santa Cruz Co.) turned out not to be a Sierra Madre,
      but a Cerulean Dancer.

      Not only that, but THREE mature males photographed last October at the
      Muleshoe Ranch (Cochise Co.), where A. lacrimans has ever been found
      only once in the past, ALSO turned out to be Cerulean Dancers!

      Picture of these individuals can be seen at: Cerulean Dancer
      <http://azdragonfly.net/species/cerulean-dancer>

      A comparison of the two species is at: Compare
      <http://azdragonfly.net/compare/361>

      If you have pictures/specimens of Sierra Madre Dancer from Arizona, it
      certainly is worth revisiting them….. who knows, another Cerulean
      Dancer or two might be hiding among them!

      Pierre Deviche, Phoenix, AZ.

      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 3, 2013
        FANTASTIC!
        I'm updating my website to reflect these dates and linking to your
        images and comparisons.
        I assume you've already posted these to Odonata Central.
        I wonder how many times we overlook new species, esp. with the damsels
        which are so small.
        Well done!!

        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 3, 2013
          It is fantastic, and it points out what some of us have been saying for a long time now.

          It's a lot easier to overlook species when people stop taking specimens of odonates as vouchers. ;-)

          This is of course no reflection on Pierre and others in Arizona, whose diligent photography is getting us all sorts of new records, more of a general plea not to terminate the traditional ways of finding species of odonates.

          As public opinion turns away from collecting, and as permitting regulations get more stringent, I feel that it is MORE important now to continue to preserve specimens wherever and whenever we can, as I can envision a future in which it isn't allowed at all. We will go on destroying habitats, but our misguided regulatory agencies (much more so in other countries) will put a stop to specimen-based research.

          Dennis

          dennispaulson@...