NEW SPECIES FOR THE U.S.!!!!!!!!

  • douglas danforth
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 28, 2013
      Well, let me start out by saying that you don't go out in the field in late March in Arizona expecting to find rarities. That's for late in the season when the monsoon rains have been in full swing. But here on the San Pedro River 16 miles north of Benson was a slightly immature male Cerulean Dancer (Argia anceps). The most northerly populations that we know of are in central Sonora where it usually is an inhabitant of small mountain streams. This is a bright blue Dancer with amber tinted wings. All the abdominal segments are blue dorsally somewhat like a Sierra Madre Dancer (Argia lacrimans).

      Species seen San Pedro River 16 miles N of Benson,Cochise County,AZ:
      Flame Skimmer (Libellula saturata)-1
      Roseate Skimmer (Orthemis ferruginea)-1
      Variegated Meadowhawk (Sympetrum corruptum)-3 teneral
      American Rubyspot (Hetearina americana)-12
      Cerulean Dancer (Argia anceps)-1
      Spine-tipped Dancer (Argia extranea)-8
      Aztec Dancer (Argia nahuana)-40
      Amethyst Dancer (Argia pallens)-30
      Springwater Dancer (Argia plana)-25
      Blue-ringed Dancer (Argia sedula)-3
      Arroyo Bluet (Enallagma praevarum)-6
      Painted Damsel (Hesperagrion heterodoxum)-10

      Mexican Forktail (Ischnura demorsa)-15
      Pacific Forktail (Ischnura cervula)-2
      Desert Firetail (Telebasis salva)-1

      Doug Danforth
      Bisbee, AZ

      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 28, 2013
        Wow! What a way to go Doug!!
        And what a gorgeous guy this species is!

        Never expected to have to add a species to my Southwest Odonates website
        this early in the year!!

        Thanks for the description and the image too....I'll get to work now!!