California Gulch, Santa Cruz County, AZ

  • douglas danforth
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 18, 2012
      Rich Bailowitz and I checked out California Gulch yesterday. The Bidens was in full bloom attracting hundreds of butterflies so butterflies outnumbered odonates 58 species to 24. The Slough Amberwing (Perithemis domitia) represents a  new late date. I think the Tezpi Dancer (Argia tezpi) is the first reported for this year in AZ and the Fiery-eyed Dancer (Argia oenea) have been hard to find this year.

      Great Spreadwing-Archilestes
      grandis-30
      American Rubyspot-Hetaerina americana-25
      Black and Whie Damsel-Apanisagrion lais-4
      Spine-tipped Dancer-Argia extranea-40
      Lavender Dancer-Argia hinei-20
      AztecDancer-Argia nahuana-20
      Fiery-eyed Dancer-Argia oenea-12
      Amethyst Dancer-Argia pallens-5
      Springwater Dancer-Argia plana-1
      Tezpi Dancer-Argia tezpi-2
      Familiar Bluet-Enallagma civile-8
      Arroyo Bluet-Enallagma praevarum-12
      Painted Damsel-Hesperagrion heterodoxum-6
      Mexican Forktail-Ischnura demorsa-10
      Desert Firetail-Telebasis salva-30

      Common Green Darner-Anax junius-1
      Blue-eyed Darner-Rhionaeschna multicolor-1
      Plateau Dragonlet-Erythrodiplax basifusca-3
      Flame Skimmer-Libellula saturata-12
      Mexican Amberwing-Pertihemis intensa-28
      Slough Amberwing-Perithemis domitia-1
      Red Rock Skimmer-Paltothemis lineatipes-4
      Filigree Skimmer-Psuedoleon superbus-4
      Variegated Meadowhawk-Sympetrum
      corruptum-14

      Doug Danforth
      Bisbee,AZ

    • douglas danforth
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 8, 2015
        Yesterday  April 7th, Rich Bailowitz and I went into California Gulch. For those who have never been there, the gulch has three sections with water. The bottom section is a running stream through willows of about a mile and reaches the border fence with Mexico. The middle section is probably only a hundred yards and includes a couple of long almost totally shaded pools. The upper section is a long lake lined with willows on one side. These three sections provide a wide variety of habitats and makes for quite a diversity of odonates. Noteworthy sightings on this trip included 3 TURQUOISE-TIPPED DARNERS (one at each section of the gulch) and 5 CERULEAN DANCERS on the bottom section of stream. This is another new locality for this amazing advance into Arizona of this species.  We had 24 species for this windy day however the wind was only a factor when we reached the lake at the upper end of the gulch in the early afternoon.

        American Rubyspot -30
        Black and White Damsel -9
        CERULEAN DANCER -5
        Spine-tipped Dancer -100+
        Lavender Dancer -12
        Aztec Dancer -20
        Amethyst Dancer -18
        Springwater Dancer -8
        Familliar Bluet -12
        Arroyo Bluet -50
        Pacific Forktail -2
        Mexican Forktail -50
        Painted Damsel -26
        Desert Firetail -11

        Common Green Darner -1
        Giant Darner -3
        Blue-eyed Darner 1
        TURQUOISE-TIPPED DARNER -3
        Pale-faced Clubskimmer -1
        Plateau Dragonlet -40
        Flame Skimmer -8
        Roseate Skimmer -4
        Mexican Amberwing -12
        Filigree Skimmer -5

        Doug Danforth
        Bisbee, AZ

      • douglas danforth
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 4, 2015
          I went to California Gulch yesterday with Tom Deecken and Jack Whetstone. Even though SE AZ had good spring rains and an early start to the monsoon season the mile long stretch that runs to the Mexican border was completely DRY!!  This is a stretch that had 20 species of odonates in April. I have never seen it dry. We did find two Argia species at a wash tub sized puddle in the middle of the stream with one of them being a Tezpi Dancer! We then went a couple of miles up to the middle section of the stream which usually has a flowing stream of varying length plus three or four widely separated shaded pools. The flowing part was about thirty feet long but held three Cerulean Dancers and even though the shaded pools had nearly dried up one was still in pretty good shape with two Turquoise-tipped Darners and five Neon Skimmers highlighting the activity there. Finally we moved to the upper portion of the Gulch which is most of the time a sizable lake but yesterday it was reduced to about half its size. However activity was high at the lake and below the dam were some nice pools that added species to our list. At one pool we had one each pair of Archilestes (Great Spreadwing and California Spreadwing) ovipositing and perched on stems within six inches of each other. We then ended the day at Pena Blance Lake.(species added only at Pena Blanca are marked PB in the list)
          Here is our list of the 32 species seen for the day.

          American Rubyspot-1
          California Spreadwing -2
          Great Spreadwing-2
          Plateau Spreadwing -1
          Black-and-white Damsel -8
          CERULEAN DANCER -4
          Spine-tipped Dancer -10
          Variable Dancer -1
          Amethyst Dancer -4
          Springwater Dancer -2
          Blue-ringed Dancer -3 PB
          TEZPI DANCER -1
          Familiar Bluet -20
          Pacific Forktail -2 PB
          Desert Firetail -20
          Common Green Darner -4
          Blue-eyed Darner -2
          Turquoise-tipped Darner -2
          Black Setwing -1 PB
          Plateau Dragonlet -2
          Western Pondhawk -1 PB
          Neon Skimmer -7
          Widow Skimmer -1 PB
          Flame Skimmer -5
          Roseate Skimmer -2
          Blue Dasher -30
          Wandering Glider -3
          Spot-winged Glider -4
          Mexican Amberwing -12
          Variegated Meadowhawk -6
          Black Saddlebags -7
          Red Saddlebags -5

          Doug Danforth
          Bisbee, AZ

        • dennisrpaulson
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 4, 2015
            To me it's just amazing that certain species from the south have increased so dramatically in southeastern Arizona. Were the substantial spring rains the cause of a general northward movement, but only in certain species? From your knowledge of Sonora, it would be interesting to come up with a list of other species common in the habitats of some of the "invading" species--Argia, Brechmorhoga, etc.--to see if there were species equally common that apparently didn't move northward or flourish in these new environments.

            The two species of Archilestes together must have been especially neat.

            Dennis Paulson

            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 28, 2015
              Yesterdat, October 27th, Rich Bailowitz, Jack Whetstone, Tom Deecken and I headed into California Gulch. Among the 30 species encountered were a late date WHITE-TAILED SYLPH (Macrothemis psuedimitans), a late by 10 days SLOUGH AMBERWING ( Perithemis domitia) and a dozen CERULEAN DANCERS (Argia anceps) including an ovipositing pair! Even though the Cerulean Dancers have been slowly colonizing the southeastern border region of the state no pairs or females had been observed until yesterday. The stretch of creek where all the Cerulean Dancers were observed had been dry on a visit there July 3rd! However, on that day a few males were seen a two or three miles upstream on a forty foot shady trickle of water in the gulch where none were seen yesterday. That's very curious. Did they retreat back upstream to the permanent water when their stream dried up? And then after the monsoon rains return to the lower part of the gulch which has habitat that suits them better?

              Doug Danforth
              Bisbee, AZ
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 28, 2015
                Doug, I wouldn’t be surprised if odonates did what you speculated about the Ceruleans. Arizona just keeps on giving!

                Dennis

                On Oct 28, 2015, at 10:43 AM, douglas danforth dougofbis@... [SoWestOdes] <SoWestOdes-noreply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

[...]

                Posted by: douglas danforth <dougofbis@...>

              • douglas danforth
                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 12 8:12 AM
                  As part of the Atascosa Mts Odonate Extravaganza on September 9th, Tom Deecken and I covered California Gulch from Ruby Rd to the Mexican border. We were able to identify 42 species for the day including 8 Argia (Dancers) species and four species each of Ischnura (Forktails), Enallagma (Bluets)  and Libellula(Skimmers). Among the Argias we found one Tezpi Dancer as well as an all time high of 16 Cerulean Dancers including an ovipositing pair! A barren dirt cattle tank yielded 6 Claw-tipped Bluets. With only one twig in the whole pond to perch on we had as many as four lined up on it at times. Always a real surprise here in SE AZ was a lone male Twelve-spotted Skimmer.chasing other dragons around this small tank.
                  American Rubyspot (H. americana)
                  Great Spreadwing (A. grandis)
                  Plateau Spreadwing (L. alacer)
                  Black and White Damsel (A. lais)