Odes at Muleshoe Ranch, Cochise Co, AZ

  • Jim Stuart
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 17, 2012
      As I recall, Clanton Canyon in western Hidalgo County, NM used to look somewhat like this Muleshoe Ranch stream at certain times but I haven't been there in several years and persistent drought has impacted it pretty badly -- I think it was bone-dry the last time I drove through headed for Douglas, AZ. We're certainly drier on the east slope of the Peloncillos than many spots on the Arizona side. But it's one of those areas that, in a series of wet years or following a major Pacific storm, just might yield some new state records for NM. Unfortunately I didn't pay attention to odonates during the good wet years (1980s) when there was water in the Peloncillos. As the ode flies, Hidalgo Co. is not that far from source populations in Cochise Co. or Sonora, and is generally down-wind!
      Potential new species for Hidalgo County and NM (some are longer long-shots than others):
      Neotropical Bluet
      Black and White Damsel
      Spine-tipped Dancer
      Yaqui Dancer
      Tarascan Dancer
      Sierra Madre Dancer
      Pima Dancer
      Sabino Dancer
      Turquoise-tipped Darner
      Malachite Darner
      Narrow-striped Forceptail
      Carmine Skimmer
      Slough Amberwing
      Red-tailed Pennant
      Mayan Setwing
      White-tailed Sylph
      Straw-colored Sylph
      Masked Clubskimmer
      Evening Skimmer
      Antillean Saddlebags
      (I should probably throw in a Jaguar while I'm making crazy wish-lists.)
      BTW, I'm surprised Dashed Ringtail hasn't yet turned up in AZ given its proximity in NM.
      Thanks,
      Jim
      James N. Stuart
      Albuquerque, NM
      jnstuart61 AT yahoo.com
      http://flickr.com/photos/stuartwildlife
      "All calculations based on experience elsewhere fail in New Mexico" -- Lew Wallace, New Mexico Territorial Governor, 1878-81

    • Bosque Bill
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 15, 2013
        I spotted an early season dragonfly here in Albuquerque around noon today along the canal just north of the Rio Grande Nature Center.

        I was on my bike and surprised to see it, so I'm not 100% sure, but it looked like a female Variegated Meadowhawk.

        Bill

        "I'm not an expert; I'm an enthusiast!"
        New Mexico, U.S.A - The Land of Enchantment
        http://www.bosquebill.com