13-14 October 2012: Muleshoe Ranch, Cochise Co., AZ

  • pierredeviche
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 15, 2012
      13 & 14 October 2012

      My wife Dany and I spent last weekend at the Muleshoe Ranch Nature
      Conservancy Area, Cochise Co., AZ, where we visited the Ranch
      headquarter pond, Bass Canyon, Hot Springs Canyon, and Double Ranch
      Canyon (see

      http://azdragonfly.net/location/muleshoe-ranch
      <http://azdragonfly.net/location/muleshoe-ranch> for location
      information.)

      We found 33 species (complete list below), including

      - One male WHITE-TAILED SYLPH. This observation provides the
      second record of the species for the USA (1st record: San Bernardino,
      AZ, 2007); see White-tailed Sylph <http://azdragonfly.net/news/335>

      - MAYAN SETWINGS: new late flying date for species in AZ; see
      Mayan Setwing <http://azdragonfly.net/news/336>

      - SLOUGH AMBERWING: new late flying date for species in AZ;

      - SPOT-WINGED MEADOWHAWK: close to the northern limit of the
      species' distribution; see Spot-winged Meadowhawk
      <http://azdragonfly.net/news/337>

      - 10 dancer species, inc. PIMA DANCERS; see Pima Dancer
      <http://azdragonfly.net/species/pima-dancer>

      Also of note, a male Aztec Dancer, A. nahuana, presenting an elongated
      black stripe on the second abdominal segment. This mark (as compared to
      a round spot) is normally characteristic of California Dancer, A.
      agrioides (Paulson 2009). See Aztec Dancer
      <http://azdragonfly.net/news/338>

      See http://azdragonfly.net <http://azdragonfly.net/> for more pictures
      and other information.

      List of species seen Oct 13-14:

      1. Malachite Darner, Remartinia luteipennis: 1
      2. Serpent Ringtail, Erpetogomphus lampropeltis: 7
      3. Pale-faced Clubskimmer, Brechmorhoga mendax: 3
      4. Variegated Meadowhawk, Sympetrum corruptum: 6
      5. SPOT-WINGED MEADOWHAWK, Sympetrum signiferum: 1 male
      6. Red Rock Skimmer, Paltothemis lineatipes: common
      7. Flame Skimmer, Libellula saturata: common
      8. Neon Skimmer, Libellula croceipennis: common
      9. Roseate Skimmer, Orthemis ferruginea: 2
      10. MAYAN SETWING, Dythemis maya: 10-15 males, 1 female
      11. Red Saddlebags, Tramea onusta: 1
      12. WHITE-TAILED SYLPH, Macrothemis pseudimitans: 1 male
      13. Mexican Amberwing, Perithemis intensa: 2 males
      14. SLOUGH AMBERWING, Perithemis domitia: 1 male

      1. Painted Damsel, Hesperagrion heterodoxum: 25
      2. Black-and-White Damsel: Apanisagrion lais: 20
      3. Familiar Bluet, Enallagma civile: 1 male
      4. Arroyo Bluet, Enallagma praevarum: common
      5. Springwater Dancer, Argia plana: common
      6. Spine-tipped Dancer, Argia extranea: 15
      7. Lavender Dancer, Argia hinei: common
      8. Aztec Dancer, Argia nahuana: 2+ males
      9. Fiery-eyed Dancer, Argia oenea: common
      10. Sooty Dancer, Argia lugens: 15
      11. Tarascan Dancer, Argia tarascana: 30
      12. Sierra Madre Dancer, Argia lacrimans: 3 males
      13. PIMA DANCER, Argia pima: 2 males
      14. Amethyst Dancer, Argia pallens: 4
      15. American Rubyspot, Hetaerina americana: 1 male
      16. Canyon Rubyspot, Hetaerina vulnerata: common
      17. Desert Forktail, Telebasis salva: 20
      18. Mexican Forktail, Ischnura demorsa: < 5
      19. Great Spreadwings, Archilestes grandis: common

      Pierre Deviche, Phoenix, AZ.

      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 15, 2012
        Fantastic outing, and getting to share it with your wife, sweet!!
        Life seems good!!
        Since I track SW Flight data, I can add these comments.

        WHITE-TAILED SYLPH - new late date for AZ and all SW (by exactly a month)
        MAYAN SETWING - new late date for AZ and all SW
        of course, since they haven't been found in any other SWestern state, that explains it!!

        Dull here in Northern CA - not an Ode to be found.

      • Jim Johnson
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 15, 2012
          Pierre,

          A couple years ago I found that the color of some of the major veins is
          different between those two species, although I haven't been able to field
          test it much since then since I don't see either species very often.

          Anyway, some of the major veins on Aztec (A. nahuana) are lighter brown than
          the other veins while on California (A. agrioides) all of the veins are more
          or less uniform in color/tone. And it seems to work for both sexes, not just
          males. I wrote about this in the newsletter Argia and I also have a page
          explaining the distinction here:
          http://odonata.bogfoot.net/photo-pages/id_Argia_agrioides-nahuana.htm In
          your close-up of the agrioides-like nahuana those golden veins are apparent.

          I'd like to hear from others who see one or both species on a regular basis
          how well this difference holds up and how well it works as a field mark
          (e.g. through binoculars).

          Jim Johnson

          Vancouver, Washington