Autumn Meadowhawk

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 27, 2012
      Just added a scan of the Autumn Meadowhawk to my website(s).
      This species is just now showing up, while most other species
      are already in decline for this flight season. The female is
      easier to ID than the male as she has a huge ovipositor,
      looking somewhat like a 'thorn' -

      http://southwestdragonflies.net/caphotos/SymVici9-2012.jpg

      I encourage you to document it if possible in your area.
      There are many 'holes' in the map and surely the species is in
      Nevada, although it has never been recorded there.

      See the map from my SW website for this species:
      http://southwestdragonflies.net/18brafur.jpg

      Hope you can find more occurrences of this species. We only have 9
      documented records for ALL of Calif!!

      Kathy

      Ps. More info on this species:
      http://southwestdragonflies.net/caphotos/2_Anisoptera.html#vicinum