AZ - Erpetogomphus elaps - Straight-tipped Ringtail

  • kradamaker
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 3, 2012
      Dear Dragonfliers,

      I've mostly been a lurker to Southwest Odes until now.

      While scouting for butterflies near the Coronado National Memorial in SEAZ with Dave Powell, Fred Heath, George Jue, Mary Klinkel, and Tom Deecken for the upcoming North American Butterfly Assoc (NABA) meeting, we discovered a jewel of a odonate. It was a spectacular emerald green, similar in size, shape and appearance to a nearby Serpent Ringtail, but much brighter green and lacked the bold striping on the thorax of that species. I sent photos to Bailowitz, Deviche, and Danforth for an ID and I'm told it is a Straight-tipped Ringtail (Erpetogomphus elaps). Only the 2nd record for AZ and the U.S. (I think), and a first for Cochise County.

      I have posted photos here: http://birdingthecloud.com/dragons.aspx

      If you right click to download the photos, the originals are a bit larger and may show more detail.

      Cheers

      Kurt Radamaker
      Scottsdale, AZ
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 3, 2012
        Wow, what a beauty! Would it be OK to link to your photo's site from my
        SW Dragonflies website?
        Kathy Biggs