Eagle Creek, Greenlee County, AZ

  • DOUGLAS DANFORTH
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 8, 2012
      Rich Bailowitz and I decided to check out Eagle Creek which is about 5 miles west of Morenci,AZ. We specifically thought that it could be a spot for DESERT SHADOW DAMSEL(Palaemnema domina)and was it ever!!!!!!!
      We found a total of 16 individuals strung out along about a quarter mile of creek. I don't know whether to call them colonies or if they are just strung out evenly along the creek in the sheltered and shady locations but we found them in four spots. We found fewer females but most groups had at least one. The Desert Shadow Damsel was a county record for Greelee County as was SWIFT SETWING (Dythemis velox) and STRAW-CCOLORED SYLPH (Macrothemis inacuta)

      We also stopped by Dankworth Pond south of Safford,AZ. Dankworth had been drained to clean out cattails and renovate it and was slowly being refilled. Even though it was not even half full the odonates from nearby Roper were repopulating this nice little lake with 21 species seen at 3:30 PM and 104 degrees!

      EAGLE CREEK-35 species seen

      Great Spreadwing(Archilestes grandis)-6
      American Rubyspot(Hetaerina americana)-6
      Canyon Rubyspot(Hetaerina vulnerata)-4
      DESERT SHADOW-DAMSEL (Palaemnema domina)-16
      Kiowa Dancer (A. immunda)-10
      Sooty Dancer (Argia lugens)-common
      Powdered Dancer (Argia moesta-1
      Aztec Dancer (Argia nahuana)-10
      Amethyst Dancer (Argia pallens)-2
      Springwater Dancer (Argia plana)-1
      Blue-ringed Dancer (Argia sedula)-common
      Dusky Dancer (Argia translata)-common
      Familiar Bluet (Enallagma civile)-common
      Arroyo Bluet (Enallagma praevarum)-common
      Mexican Forktail (Ischnura demorsa)-6
      Desert Firetail (Telebasis salva)-10

      Common Green Darner (Anax junius)-1
      Giant Darner(Anax walsinghami)-1
      Blue-eyed Darner (Rhionaeschna multicolor)-1
      Yellow-belted Ringtail (Erpetogomphus compositus)-3
      Serpent Ringtail (Erpetogomphus lampropeltis natrix)-1
      GraySanddragon (Progomphus borealis)-8
      Western River-cruiser (Macromia magnifica)-1
      Pale-faced Clubskimmer (Brechmorhoga mendax)-4
      Swift Setwing (Dythemis velox)-2
      Western Pondhawk(Erythemis collocata)-1
      Plateau Dragonlet (Erythrodiplax basifusca)-4
      Flame Skimmer (Libellula saturata)-3
      Straw-colored Sylph(Macrothemis inacuta)-1
      Roseate Skimmer(Orthemis ferruginea)-4
      Red Rock Skimmer(Paltothemis lineatipes)-1
      Eastern Amberwing(Perithemis tenera)-2
      Common Whitetail(Plathemis lydia)-2
      Filigree Skimmer(Psuedoleon superbus)-4
      Variegated Meadowhawk(Sympetrum corruptum)-3
      Black Saddlebags(Tramea lacerata)-1

      DANKWORTH POND GRAHAM COUNTY,AZ-21 species seen

      Familiar Bluet(Enallgma civile)-common
      Mexican Forktail(Ischnura demorsa)-common
      Citrine Forktail(Ischnura hastata)-2
      Desert Firetail (Telebasis salva)-several

      Common Green Darner(Anax junius)-3
      Blue-eyed Darner(Rhionaeschna multicolor)-4
      Red-tailed Pennant(Brachymesia furcata)-5
      Checkered Setwing (dythemis fugax)-15
      Western Pondhawk(Erythemis collocata)-1
      Widow Skimmer (Libellula luctuosa)-1
      Fame Skimmer(Libellula saturata)-6
      Roseate Skimmer(Orthemis ferruginea)-30
      Blue Dasher(Pachydiplax longipennis)-50
      Wandering Glider(Pantala flavescens)-6
      Spot-winged Glider(Pantala Hymenaea)-1
      Eastern Amberwing(Perithemis tenera)-5
      Common Whitetail(Plathemis lydia)-3
      Variegated Meadowhawk(Sympetrum corruptum)-2
      Striped Saddlebags(Tramea calverti)-2
      Black Saddlebags(Tramea lacerata)-12
      Red Saddlebags(Tramea onusta)-4

      Doug Danforth
      Bisbee,AZ
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 8, 2012
        Fantastic news all the way around!!
        Guess I'd best get busy and updates the maps on my website!!
        Kathy Biggs
        Ps. Re CalOdes Blitz last weekend in Del Norte County: we had about 15
        new county records (1 was totally unexpected, the Autumn Meadowhawk) and
        ~38 species found in all.

        dba Azalea Creek Publishing azalea@... fax:707-823-2911