Halloween Pennant at Roper Lake State Park, AZ

  • artfullbirds
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 30, 2012
      This past weekend, my wife Shela and I searched for odes at Roper Lake State Park, Graham County, AZ. Best find was a male Halloween Pennant just south of the day use island area. Photo submitted to Odonata Central. After some research, I could only find two previous sightings for Arizona, both from Roper Lake. The first on 9/19/2006 by Doug Danforth, the second of four individuals, including a female in August 2008.

      Other species observed:

      Four-spotted Pennant extremely abundant. As far as I can tell, Roper Lake is the only place in the state to find this species. The next nearest population is some 200 miles away in se New Mexico!
      Black Saddlebags were very common
      Red Saddlebags were less common
      Blue Dasher very common
      Black Setwing an individual
      Checkered Setwing several
      Western Pondhawk one female
      Commanche Skimmer one male
      Common Green Darner several
      Blue-eyed Darner common
      Wandering Glider an individual
      Roseate Skimmer about twenty
      Marl Pennant fairly common
      Flame Skimmer several
      Arroyo Bluet was the only damselfly we encountered
      Widow Skimmer common
      Desert Whitetail uncommon
      Variegated Meadowhawk many

      Photos will be posted later today on www.artfullbirds.com