Dragonfly Calendar 2013

  • Celeste Mazzacano
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 4, 2012
      Hello everyone—

      Apologies for cross-posting, but I wanted to thank everyone who has
      submitted photos for the upcoming Dragonflies 2013 calendar that the
      Migratory Dragonfly Partnership and Xerces is producing, and to remind folks
      that if you would still like to submit photos, the deadline is JUNE 15. The
      specifics are below, and you can also get details at the MDP Facebook page
      (https://www.facebook.com/MigratoryDragonflyPartnership) or on the Xerces
      website (http://www.xerces.org/dragonfly-migration/projects/, bottom of the
      page).

      Remember, the photographer retains copyright of any images used. Photo
      credits will be given for each photo, and can include URLs for contributors’
      web sites if desired. Anyone whose photograph(s) are included will also
      receive up to 3 free copies of the calendar. If you have any questions,
      feel free to contact me directly or to e-mail dragonfly@....

      Thanks!

      Celeste

      *****************************

      Dragonfly Calendar 2013

      Themes

      · Endangered/threatened/vulnerable species:

      o U.S.

      § Listed Endangered:

      · Somatochlora hineana (Hine’s Emerald)

      · Megalagrion pacificum (Pacific Damselfly), M. nesiotes (Flying
      Earwig Damselfly)

      § Candidate species:

      · Megalagrion xanthomelas (Orangeblack Damselfly)

      o Canada

      § Endangered:

      · Gomphus quadricolor (Rapids Clubtail)

      · Stylurus laurae (Laura’s Clubtail)

      o Mexico

      § Amphipteryx agrioides (Montane Relict Damsel), A. chiapensis

      § Epigomphus donnellyi (Donnelly's Knobtail), E. flinti (Flint’s Knobtail),
      E. paulsoni (Paulson’s Knobtail)

      § Hetaerina rudis (Guatemalan Rubyspot)

      § Argia sabino (Sabino dancer)

      § Paraphlebia zoe (Zoe Waterfall Damsel)

      · Vulnerable/threatened habitats

      o Bog / fen / muskeg / peatland-associated species:

      § Emeralds = Somatochlora whitehousei (Whitehouse’s Emerald), S. franklini
      (Delicate Emerald),S. elongata (Ski-Tailed Emerald), S. cingulata (Lake
      Emerald), S. kennedyi (Kennedy’s Emerald), S. minor (Ocellated Emerald), S.
      forcipata (Forcipate Emerald), S. albicincta (Ringed Emerald), S.
      septentrionalis (Muskeg Emerald)

      § Darners = Aeshna sitchensis (Zigzag Darner), A. subarctica (Subarctic
      Darner), A. septentrionalis (Azure Darner), Gomphaeschna furcillata
      (Harlequin Darner)

      § Bluets = Coenagrion interrogatum (Subarctic bluet), C. resolutum (Taiga
      Bluet)

      § Whitefaces = Leucorrhinia borealis (Boreal Whiteface), L. frigida
      (Frosted Whiteface), L. patricia (Canada Whiteface), L. hudsonica (Hudsonian
      Whiteface)

      § Nannothemis bella (Elfin Skimmer)

      o Acid bogs:

      § Boghaunters= Willamsonia fletcheri (Ebony Boghaunter), W. lintneri
      (Ringed Boghaunter),

      § Ladona julia (Chalk-fronted Corporal)

      o Cypress swamps

      § Leptobasis lucifer (Lucifer Swampdamsel)

      o Mangroves

      § Coryphaeschna viriditas (Mangrove Darner)

      · Migratory species (2 months, spring and fall)

      o Main species in US: Anax junius, Tramea lacerata, Pantala flavescens, P.
      hymenaea, Sympetrum corruptum

      o Migrating birds feeding on migrating odes, such as Mississippi kites

      · Life cycle

      o mating

      o oviposition

      o nymphs

      o emergence

      o additional behaviors such as obelisking, dunking/spin drying, etc.

      · Ecosystem roles & services

      o Top predators in habitats that lack vertebrates

      o Food for birds & frogs

      o Transfer nutrients and biomass from aquatic to terrestrial systems

      o May be indicators of global climate change as well as indicators of
      water quality and ecosystem health

      · Cultural/aesthetic importance

      o Symbolized pure water to Navajo

      o other native peoples considered them to carry the spirits of the dead,
      and symbolize immortality and rebirth

      o symbol of strength for Japanese warriors

      o European and Euro-American folklore tended to have more association with
      the devil…

      Photo Specifications

      · We’d like to achieve 300 dpi at final printing size. For a
      full-page image on 11x8.5 paper, files need to be a minimum of 3,300 x 2,550
      pixels. If we need to crop the image, the pixel count should be even higher,
      i.e., so that we can have 3,300 x 2,550 pixels for the cropped area.

      · JPEG files are fine, but TIFF are preferred.

      · When photos are submitted, please send uncropped files.

      · Please include information such as species, location, their
      contact details, etc. (An email or Word document is fine.) All of this will
      be included in the metadata for the photo, so will always be associated with
      the photo.

      · The photographer retains copyright. We are asking for a single,
      non-exclusive use. Photo credits will be given for each photo, and can
      include URLs for contributors’ web sites.

      · We’ll review all submissions and decide which ones to use.

      · You can e-mail files to Michele (michele@...). If file size
      is a problem, we have a photo upload page on Xerces website that you can
      use. It is password protected so if you want to send photos this way, let us
      know and we’ll send the URL and password.

      Celeste A. Mazzacano, Ph. D.

      Staff Scientist / Aquatic Program Director

      Project Coordinator, Migratory Dragonfly Partnership

      The Xerces Society for Invertebrate Conservation

      1971 – 2011: Forty Years of Conservation!

      628 NE Broadway, suite 200, Portland, OR 97232, USA

      <mailto:celeste@...> celeste@...

      Cell: (503) 490-0389

      Tel: (503) 232-6639 x105

      Toll free: 1-855-232-6639 x105
      <http://www.xerces.org/> www.xerces.org

      Find more information on at-risk aquatic invertebrates at
      <http://www.xerces.org/aquatic-invertebrates/>
      www.xerces.org/aquatic-invertebrates/

      The Xerces Society for Invertebrate Conservation is an international
      nonprofit organization that protects wildlife through the conservation of
      invertebrates and their habitat.

    • Celeste Mazzacano
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 3, 2012
        Hello all-

        Sorry for the inevitable cross-posting, but if you've begun wondering what
        to get your friends and family for the holidays this year, you might want to
        check out the new Xerces Dragonflies of North America 2013 Calendar, which
        just went on sale today. More information and a preview are available at
        http://www.xerces.org/calendar/ .

        Cheers!

        Celeste

        Celeste A. Mazzacano, Ph. D.

        Staff Scientist / Aquatic Program Director, Xerces Society

        Project Coordinator, Migratory Dragonfly Partnership
        <https://www.facebook.com/MigratoryDragonflyPartnership> Description:
        FB_icon_small <https://twitter.com/Dragonfly_MDP> Description:
        twitter-bird-white-on-blue

        The Xerces Society for Invertebrate Conservation

        628 NE Broadway, suite 200, Portland, OR 97232, USA

        Tel: (503) 232-6639 x105 / Cell: (503) 490-0389

        Toll free: 1-855-232-6639 x105
        <mailto:celeste@...> celeste@... / <http://www.xerces.org/>
        www.xerces.org
        <https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Xerces-Society/193182577358618>