5 May 2012: Pinal Co., AZ

  • pierredeviche
    Message 1 of 2 , May 6, 2012

      A visit yesterday (05/05) to four Pinal Co., AZ, locations yielded 23
      species, the best being a male Straw-colored Sylph, Macrothemis inacuta,
      at Kearny Lake (seehttp://azdragonfly.net/species/straw-colored-sylph
      <http://azdragonfly.net/species/straw-colored-sylph> )

      Sunny, ~90 F, at times breezy.

      Kearny Lake, 10:30 AM – 12:30 PM

      * + Blue-eyed Darner, Rhionaeschna multicolor: ~5
      * + Flame Skimmer, Libellula saturata: common
      * + Variegated Meadowhawk, Sympetrum corruptum: 4
      * + Straw-colored Sylph, Macrothemis inacuta: 1 male
      * + Wandering Glider, Pantala flavescens: ~5
      * + Familiar Bluet, Enallagma civile: common
      * + Desert Forktail, Ischnura barberi: common

      Gila River at Kelvin Bridge,1 PM – 1:30 PM

      * Flame Skimmer, Libellula saturata: 5-10 males
      * + Blue Dasher, Pachydiplax longipennis: 3
      * + Western Pondhawk, Erythemis collocata: 2
      * + Mexican Amberwing, Perithemis intensa: 1 male
      * + Plateau Dragonlet, Erythrodiplax basifusca: 1 male
      * + American Rubyspot, Hetaerina americana:2
      * + Arroyo Bluet, Enallagma praevarum: 5
      * + Black-fronted Forktail, Ischnura denticollis: 1 male
      * + Mexican Forktail, Ischnura demorsa: 2+ males
      * + Desert Firetail, Telebasis salva: ~40

      Oak Flat Mine Pond, 2 PM –2:50 PM

      * + Common Green Darner, Anax junius: 1
      * + Black Saddlebacks, Tramea lacerata: 2
      * + Red Saddlebacks, Tramea onusta: 1
      * Plateau Dragonlet, Erythrodiplax basifusca: 1 male
      * Familiar Bluet, Enallagma civile: ~25
      * Arroyo Bluet, Enallagma praevarum: 15
      * Desert Firetail, Telebasis salva: 2
      * + Pacific Forktail, Ischnura cervula: 1 female
      * Mexican Forktail, Ischnura demorsa: 5

      Queen Creek at Apache Tears,3:20 PM – 4 PM

      * Flame Skimmer, Libellula saturata: 3 males
      * Blue Dasher, Pachydiplax longipennis: 4
      * + Springwater Dancer, Argia plana: abundant
      * + Aztec Dancer, Argia nahuana: 4
      * + Lavender Dancer, Argia hinei: 1 male
      * Mexican Forktail, Ischnura demorsa: 3
      * Pacific Forktail, Ischnura cervula: 1 male
      * Arroyo Bluet, Enallagma praevarum: 15
      * Desert Firetail, Telebasis salva: 2

      Pierre Deviche, Phoenix, AZ.

      Message 2 of 2 , May 8, 2012
        Pierre,
        I think that may be a new early date, by far, for the Slyph - the early
        date I had is
        7/17/08PD

        dba Azalea Creek Publishing azalea@... fax:707-823-2911