04/29: Paloma Ranch, Maricopa, AZ

  • pierredeviche
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 30, 2012
      Yesterday (04/29) Doug Danforth, Richard Bailowitz, and I visited
      several ponds in the Paloma Ranch area just W. of Gila Bend, Maricopa,
      AZ.

      We ended up finding a total of 12 species (details below). The best find
      was BLEACHED SKIMMER, Libellula composita, seen at a small shallow pond
      and representing a first county report. The species is regularly found
      only at a couple of locations in the state.

      Photos and information on locations: see AZdragonfly.net
      <http://azdragonfly.net>

      * Common Green Darner, Anax junius: 2
      * Western Pondhawk, Erythemis collocata:2
      * Flame Skimmer, Libellula saturata: 4
      * Bleached Skimmer, Libellula composita: 4, inc. ovipositing females.
      See: photos <http://azdragonfly.net/species/bleached-skimmer> ;
      location: location <http://azdragonfly.net/location/paloma-ranch-pond>
      * Blue Dasher, Pachydiplax longipennis: 9
      * Variegated Meadowhawk,Sympetrum corruptum: 1
      * Mexican Amberwing,Perithemis intensa: 10
      *
      * Powdered Dancer, Argia moesta: 2
      * Blue-ringed Dancer, Argia sedula: 12
      * Familiar Bluet, Enallagma civile: 100+
      * Rambur�s Forktail, Ischnura ramburii: 3
      * Desert Forktail, Ischnura barberi: 100+

      Pierre Deviche, Phoenix, AZ.