10 Dec. 2011: N. Maricopa Co., AZ: seven spp. still flying.

  • pierredeviche
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 11, 2011
      Jewel of the Creek Preserve N. of Cave Creek, Maricopa, AZ

      12:45 PM – 3 PM

      Mostly sunny, calm/light breeze, 69 F

      I visited the above location yesterday (12/10) afternoon. With low
      temperatures in the 30s during the past few days, I didn't expect
      much and so was pleasantly surprised to find seven species still flying
      – details below. These included ~10 ARROYO BLUETS that provide a new
      late flying date for this species in AZ.

      Photos and information on location: see http://azdragonfly.net/

      Species seen:

      * Variegated Meadowhawk, Sympetrum corruptum: 1
      * Arroyo Bluet, Enallagma praevarum: ~10 males; see
      http://azdragonfly.net/news/313
      * California Dancer, Argia agrioides: 1 male
      * Springwater Dancer, Argia plana: 5 males
      * Desert Firetail, Telebasis salva: 1 male
      * Citrine Forktail, Ischnura hastata: 1 female
      * Great Spreadwing, Archilestes grandis: 3, inc. 1 pair in tandem

      Pierre Deviche, Phoenix AZ.