Odonates- Gila Co. 5/28 and Maricopa Co. 5/30

  • rsawby
    Message 1 of 2 , May 30, 2004
      Hi all,
      Robert Bowker and I went to Camp Geronimo at the base of the
      Mogollon rim 5/28/04 and saw:

      Control Rd at East Verde river crossing near Willow Springs Cyn:

      Ishnura damula- Mexican forktail
      Libellula saturata-Flame skimmer
      Rhionaeshna multicolor-Blue-eyed darner
      Erythemis collocata-Western pondhawk (female photographed)
      Telebasis salva-Desert firetail
      Argia hinei/fumipennis
      Argia lugens
      Archilestes grandis-Great spreadwing
      Hetaerina vulnerata-Canyon rubyspot
      Paltothemis lineatipes-Red rock skimmer

      Lake at Camp Geronimo:

      Ishnura demorsa
      Enallagma sp. (tried to differentiate in hand w/hand lens but need
      more practice)
      Rhionaeshna multicolor-Blue-eyed darner (photographed)several dozen
      observed
      Hesperagrion heterodoxum-Painted dancer
      Libellula saturata-Flame skimmer
      Hetaerina vulnerata (photographed)

      5/30/2004 Hassayampa River at rest stop s. of Wickenburg:

      Libellula ferruginea-Roseate skimmer
      L. comanche-comanche skimmer
      L. saturata-Flame skimmer
      Tramea lacerata-Black saddlebags (female observed ovipositing)
      Rhionaeshna sp. multicolor?
      Anax walsinghami-Giant darner
      A. junius-Common green darner
      Pachydiplax longipennis-Blue dasher
      Erythemis collocata-Western pondhawk ~50 observed
      Brechmorhoga pertinax-Pale-faced clubskimmer (mating pair landed in
      tree and photographed)
      Progomphus borealis-Gray sanddragon (female observed ovipositing by
      hovering ~0.3m above water and dribbling eggs into the water)
      Hesperagrion heterodoxum-Painted dancer-hundreds of mature males
      observed
      Hetaerina americana-American rubyspot
      Argia moesta-Powdered dancer (photographed)

      New photos up at(see "what's new"):
      http://www.gc.maricopa.edu/biology/aznature/pages/odonates.html

      Ryan Sawby
    • Kathy and Dave Biggs
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 2, 2004
        Ryan and all,

        Your Argia lugens appears to be new early flight data for AZ (by only 2
        days).
        However, did you see Brechmorhoga mendax (Pale-faced Clubskimmer) or B.
        pertinax (Masked Clubskimmer)?? Also note that although called a
        Skimmer, the Rosette's genus name is Orthemis and on the What's new page
        you wrote Variegated skimmer female instead of Meadowhawk. There's so
        much for all of us to learn about these neat bugs! Keep up the good
        work!

        Kathy Biggs

        Biggs Family Nesting Site http://www.sonic.net/~bigsnest