11 Aug 2011: Sycamore Canyon, Santa Cruz, AZ.

  • pierredeviche
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 12, 2011

      Sycamore Canyon, Santa Cruz, AZ

      9:30 AM – 12:30 PM; partly sunny then cloudy; 75 F

      Pictures and information on location: see http://azdragonfly.net/welcome
      <http://azdragonfly.net/welcome>

      Yesterday (11 Aug.) Richard Bailowitz and I visited Sycamore Canyon
      where we found 17 odonate species (see below). Surprising to us, most
      species were represented only by one to relatively few individuals.

      A few weeks ago the area – although not the canyon itself – was
      ravaged by a huge wildfire. As we walked back upstream yesterday we were
      met with a massive flash flood consisting of black burn sludge and
      resulting from a thunderstorm somewhere upstream in the burned area.
      Thick black mud deposits along the banks of the normally clear stream
      indicated that similar flood(s) took place during the past few weeks.
      These unusual events probably have profound effects on the stream
      ecology (larval development and survival, etc) and may account for the
      uncharacteristically poor odonate numbers and diversity.

      - Flame Skimmer, Libellula saturata: 10

      - Plateau Dragonlet, Erythrodiplax basifusca: 2

      - Giant Darner, Anax walsinghami: 1

      - Wandering Glider, Pantala flavescens: 2

      - Variegated Meadowhawk, Sympetrum corruptum: 4

      - Serpent Ringtail, Erpetogomphus lampropeltis natrix: 1

      - Lavender Dancer, Argia hinei: 3

      - Spine-tipped Dancer, Argia extranea: 3

      - Amethyst Dancer, Argia pallens: 2

      - Sabino Dancer, Argia sabino: 1

      - Springwater Dancer, Argia plana: 1

      - Sooty Dancer, Argia lugens: 2

      - Arroyo Bluet, Enallagma praevarum: 20

      - Black-and-white Damsel, Apanisagrion lais: 1

      - Painted Damsel, Hesperagrion heterodoxum: 1

      - Mexican Forktail, Ischnura demorsa: 15

      - Great Spreadwing, Archilestes grandis: 1

      A brief afternoon visit to Arivaca Lake, Pima Co., yielded:

      - Familiar Bluet, Enallagma civile: 1

      - Black Saddlebag, Tramea lacerata: 2

      - Mexican Amberwing, Perithemis intensa: 1

      - Blue Dasher, Pachydiplax longipennis: 20

      - Widow Skimmer, Libellula luctuosa: 3.

      Pierre Deviche, Phoenix, AZ.