Cochise Co, AZ :21 May 2004

  • rbehrstock
    Message 1 of 1 , May 21, 2004
      Dear Odesters,

      Today I went into the field with Hank Brodkin. From 08:00-10:15, we
      investigated odonates and butterflies at the Las Cienegas National
      Conservation Area about seven miles NE of Sonoita, Cochise Co., AZ.
      Activity was picking up and numbers and species diversity might have
      increased had we lingered. Sixteen species of butterflies were
      observed.

      Odonates encountered:

      Plateau Dragonlet (1 M)
      Flame Skimmer (1 M)
      Wandering Glider (1)
      Variable Dancer (1 or 2 M)
      Aztec Dancer (2 M, 1 F)
      Springwater Dancer (c. 15)
      Painted Damsel (80+ incl. many tenerals)

      From there, we drove to Fort Huachuca adjacent to Sierra Vista.
      Arriving at noon at the the pond near the cabin at the Sawmill Canyon
      parking area, we saw:

      Flame Skimmer (4)
      Sympetrum sp. (1 adult M, illotum or vicinum? Never perched during
      1/2 hr)
      Springwater Dancer (10)
      Arroyo Bluet (4)
      Painted Damsel (c. 8)