San Bernardino NWR, Cochise Co., AZ: 28 April 2011

  • rbehrstock@cox.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 29, 2011
      Dear Odesters,

      Yesterday (28 April 2011), I was censusing and collecting bugs at San Bernardino NWR in extreme SE Cochise Co., AZ. The refuge, which is mostly mesquite grassland with some creosote flats and a riparian corridor sits right on the Mexican border. There are a dozen or so ponds fed by artesian water—the primary ode habitat until monsoon rains flood the riparian corridor. Numbers of Odonata were low—typical of the season. It was very hot and windy.

      The following species were noted:

      Violet Dancer Argia fumipennis violacea
      Aztec Dancer A. nahuana
      Amethyst Dancer A. pallens
      Familiar Bluet Enallagma civile
      Arroyo Bluet E. praevarum
      Claw-tipped Bluet E. semicirculare
      Mexican Forktail Ischnura demorsa
      Desert Firetail Telebasis salva

      Giant Darner Anax walsinghami
      Blue-eyed Darner Rhionaeschna multicolor
      Plateau Dragonlet Erythrodiplax basifusca
      Flame Skimmer Libellula saturata

      Best,
      Bob Behrstock

      --