563Boyce Thompson Arboretum - central AZ

  • chris kline
    Sep 4, 2007
      Hi all,

      Sorry for the delay. I left for Portal, AZ about 30 minutes after finishing the dragonfly walk. Had a nice crowd of about 30 people. Did not get a good chance to confer with Pete Moulton who had the other half of the crowd, so Pete chime in if you have ohters to add to the list! Here is what my group saw:

      Flame Skimmer
      Blue Dasher
      Roseate Skimmer
      Mexican Amberwing
      Straw-colored Sylph
      Variegated Meadowhawk
      Blue-eyed Darner
      Common Green Darner
      Sooty Dancer
      Dusky Dancer
      Rambur's Forktail
      Desert Firetail

      Disappointingly absent was the Giant Darner that has been patroling Queen Creek. In the matter of three days the section of Queen Creek that runs through the Arb. has dried up. There are some deeper pools to the east well away from trails. Perhaps the GD was hanging out there.

      chris