1468Re: [CalOdes] California/Nevada/Oregon Blitz

    Jun 7, 2014
      Make that LAKE County, OR!!
      Sorry!!
      Kathy
      Ps. We're up to 68 species reported as flying in Calif. now.

      On 6/7/2014 2:09 PM, Kathy & Dave Biggs bigsnest@... [CalOdes] wrote:

      CalOdes Dragonfly Blitz
      June 27 - 30, 2014
      Warner Mts., Modoc Co, CA and nearby areas in Washoe Co, NV & Malheur Co, OR
      This year's CalOdes Dragonfly Blitz is being planned as a combination Butterfly Count/Dragonfly Blitz in the far northeastern corner of California in the Warner Mtns. The butterfly count will be held on Saturday, June 28th. This is a brand new count, being coordinated by Joe Smith. The day preceding the count and 2 days after the count will be dragonfly oriented, and of course, our eyes won't be closed to Odes on the 28th, nor to butterflies on the other days!

      The Warner Mtns.  are  a very special area with lots of species possible that don't appear in other areas of California, both Ode and Lep-wise. The butterfly count circle in the northern Warners, will encompass most of the Northeastern corner of the state. Ode forays may be planned to also go into the NW corner of Nevada (Washoe County) and the SE corner of Oregon (Lake County).  A base camp will be established at Cave Lake (first come, first served basis) where we have camped twice before on Blitzes, and for those wishing to stay in a motel, there are some available in Cedarville and Alturas,  CA, and Lakeview, OR, each approximately a 30 -45 min. drive from Cave Lake. The Biggs and Santry's will secure the campsites Thursday nite the 26th - if anyone else wants to arrive early.

      NOTE: Because Goose Lake an Fee Lake are EMPTY, the count circle has been changed. But I have not yet received data for the new circle. The following info is outdated:
      For those of you with access to Google Maps, Joe has included a google earth kmz link to the circle. otherwise the count circle center
      coordinateis
      41.8903,-120.1329(Lat/Lon). The butterfly count has a 15 mile diameter - this circle includes such potential hotspots as Fandango Pass, Mt Bidwell, Dismal Swamp, Surprise Valley, Fee Reservoir, Lake Annie and areas of foothill approach to Mt Bidwell and eastern alkali flats as yet unexplored.  The Dragonfly Blitz will include not only these areas but also lesser explored areas of adjacent NV & OR. If you are interested, please get in touch.  Joe will try to create teams for all the butterfly count areas and assign those out at the base camp.

      The camp at Cave Lake is Forest Service and therefore first-come first serve. It is located on Fandango Pass Rd. and there is no fee.
      The elevation is 6,600'.  We hope you join us! As of today, about 10 folks are signed up - approx. 1/3 from Oregon.

      Joe Smith, butterfly count coordinator (and originator!)  - 530-335-7055 or
      foxglove1985@...
      Kathy Biggs, dragonfly blitz contact -
      bigsnest@... or 707-823-2911

      Kathy Biggs