1465Great Pondhawk, Cochise County, AZ

  • douglas danforth
    May 30, 2014
      Went to check out the two golf course ponds on the edge of Douglas. On the larger pond I found a Great Pondhawk (Erythemis vesiculosa) perched on partially submerged tumbleweeds. Later I found it on the smaller pond which is a few hundred yards from the larger one. Not the diverse odonate fauna usually present here but always nice to find a Great Pondhawk. It probably rode into Arizona with the remnants of Tropical Storm Amanda which passed through the state on Thursday.

      Common Green Darner(Anax Junius) -2
      Plateau Dragonlet (Erythrodiplax basifusca) -8
      Western Pondhawk (Erythemis collocata) -2
      Flame Skimmer(Libellula saturata) -2
      Roseate Skimmer (Orthemis ferruginea) -1
      Wandering Glider (Pantala flavescens) -1
      Mexican Amberwing(Perithemis intensa) -1
      Eastern Amberwing (Perithemis tenera) -6
      Filigree Skimmer (Psuedoleon superbus) -2
      Variegated Meadowhawk (Sympetrum corruptum) -4
      Red Saddlebags (Tramea onusta) -5
      Familiar Bluet (Enallagma civile) -30
      Pacific Forktail (Ischnura cervula) -5
      Mexican Forktail (Ischnura demorsa) -10