1414Re: [SoWestOdes] Re: AZOdes Website

  • Paul Johnson
    Oct 26, 2013
      Mind if I jump in?

      I've been concerned about this issue lately, but perhaps from a different perspective.  What I see is that even when a small, local database is being actively used and maintained, it's still missing a lot of the data that's out there.  The best Odonata database would be one that is easily accessible to everyone who wants to record their observations, right?  Provided data quality is maintained, of course.

      In CA we have the CalOdes listserv, Odonata Central, a Facebook page, Bugguide.net, the published literature, folks keeping their own county data, folks keeping data in notebooks or photos, and Kathy Biggs doing a wonderful job herding all of us cats.

      What if there were an online database that served most or all of these purposes, and was widely used and easily accessible?  iNaturalist might be just that.  It's a hybrid of social media and nature observation database.  It can send automated emails to alert folks about observations of interest.  It allows users to set up categories of interest, such as AZ odes.  It can at least theoretically be tweaked to meet your data needs.  And it's highly accessible, available online and as a smartphone app.  You can upload the date, time, and location (if camera is GPS equipped) of your observation straight from your photo data. Many people use it to record all of their nature observations, so people who know nothing about the AZ Odes database end up contributing records of odes in AZ.

      I am not affiliated with iNaturalist in any way.  I've only recently begun using it and I think it still has a ways to go, but it has a lot of promise. National Geographic will be holding a BioBlitz in Golden Gate National Recreation Area in CA next year, and they are strongly considering using this as their database.  I work for a National Park, and I love the fact that someone else is keeping a widely used database of observations in my park for me.  All I have to do is query the location and I have all the data at my fingertips.  Amazing!

      I hope you'll check it out and let me know what you think:

      Thanks,

      Paul

      Sent from my iPhone

      On Oct 24, 2013, at 14:00, "Ann Johnson" <aj@...> wrote:

      Point well taken, Jim. The critical mass of interested persons plays out in two ways. Although there has been an exponential interest increase in odonates (as well as butterflies, moths, wasps, etc.), that critical mass of people hasn't yet been realized to create a decent infrastructure to keep things going. First of all, you need enough people willing to take a little time to share their information with others in some kind of structured way. One analogy I like to use is that I keep my birding records in AviSys (my private collection if you will) but can then add anything significant to the database maintained by the Iowa Ornithologists' Union for seasonal field reports and eventually North American Birds. I can even upload a day's worth of records to eBird for the greater good. It does take a concerted investment on my part to do that, however, and it takes a fair number of people doing the same to eventually collect anything meaningful. Odonata Central is a good case in point. County lists and range maps are only as good as contributors make it.

      I've built a number of state-oriented web applications over the years and am not overly concerned about the birding-related sites since they have organizations with ownership and commitment to continuation. Content is maintained by members of the organization. The back-end pieces occasionally require an additional skill set but finding that isn't an insurmountable problem, either from a volunteer with some familiarity with the technology or from a contractor. I do worry about Iowa Odes, however. Our informal infrastructure is working well for content management and record review and things are relatively up to date, but I would dearly love to find an interested group to take over the ownership. Heck, I'd even pay the $100 a year for hosting and provide free labor as long as I can. I do worry about what happens if I get hit by a truck tomorrow. That's a lot of information to lose and right now it exists in my personal account. I'm not sure what the answer is. For us the most obvious answer would be to bring all these things under the umbrella of our state's DNR wildlife diversity bureau but I should live so long as to see that idea ever get much traction. Data is so much easier to organize than people J.

      Ann Johnson