      From: SoWestOdes@yahoogroups.com [mailto:SoWestOdes@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Jim Stuart
      Sent: Thursday, October 24, 2013 9:46 AM
      To: SoWest Odes
      Subject: [SoWestOdes] Re: AZOdes Website

      I suspect all web-based databases are potentially vulnerable to neglect and eventual extinction, even broad-based well-established ones like OdonataCentral (although I hope in the case of OC, it has sufficient support in place to buffer against that possibility). The broader and more established such a database is, the greater likelihood it can secure support funds and that it will be carried on by others if its originator(s) aren't there to do so since so many are invested in it. The situation is comparable to small specimen collections in research museums ... some have been lost and others will be lost as they are "orphaned" by lone curators who retire and pass on.

      It might seem nice to have a web-based site dedicated to just your state, but the critical mass of interested persons just might not be there to maintain it once its creators are gone.

      Jim

      _____