1401SoWest Ode Blitz Day 2 (Sat.)

    Oct 7, 2013
      Hello all,

      On the 2nd day, Saturday,  just like on the first, Bob Miller did an EXCELLENT job of finding places where the Odes were flying despite our again having strong strong winds.

      Several new folks joined us, so our # of participants was 13. We spent day 2 in Imperial County, CA, mostly in the Imperial Wetlands area where we had also Blitzed in 2006.

      No state or county records this day but we found 22 species. Many of us got excellent photos and a few of us collected specimens after the photos were taken
      .
      American Rubyspot - We walked IN and above the creek leading into Senator Wash and saw MANY
      Powdered Dancer - many
      Blue-ringed Dancer - many
      CA/AZ Dancers - many
      along the creek leading into Senator Wash. Photos and specimens collected but not examined yet.
      Familiar Bluet - a few
      Citrine Forktail - several along the road as we approached West Pond, males and mature and immature females in-hand
      Rambur's Forktail - abundant
      Common Green Darner - many, inc. tandem ovipositing
      Blue-eyed Darner - some, males and females in-hand
      White-belted Ringtail - several, males and females seen, photographed
      Russet-tipped Clubtail - 1 female above West Pond - the area where we got Striped Saddlebags in 2006 is mostly overgrown now
      Red-tailed Pennant - some, males and females in-hand
      Pale-faced Clubskimmer - at least 2, one in-hand
      Western Pondhawk - a few, males and females
      Flame Skimmer - a few, males and ovipositng females
      Marl Pennant - several males, in-hand
      Roseate Skimmer - many, males and females
      Blue Dasher - some, male and females
      Wandering Glider - quite a few; no Spot-winged Gliders seen
      Mexican Amberwing - quite a few, males and females
      Variegated Meadowhawk - some
      Black Saddlebags - quite a few

      I must tell you that early dinners with happy hour prices were a special treat after a day in the sun and wind!!

      AND, Kathy was able to give a program about dragonflies and esp. those in the SW to those who could attend in the Biggs' upstairs room after that.

      The next day we went on both the Arizona and the  California side of the Colorado River, in Imperial, Yuma, and then La Paz Counties. Info will arrive asap.