Re: [SoCalFire] What is a Task Force/Light Force?

  • K Broadbent
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 11, 2004
      Good evening,

      A task force is two engines and a truck, a light force
      is an engine and a truck that are married and respond
      together

      http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html
    • rfreely1116@aol.com
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 11, 2004
        Also don't forget that LACOFD has a couple of stations with the "Light Force"
        concept. They are stations 8 in West Hollywood, 82 in La Canada/ Flintridge,
        127 in Carson, 170 in Inglewood and 181 in Pomona. Both the engine and truck
        or Quint will go on the call whether it is a med aid or fire. Engine will
        have 4 and the truck will have 3 to 5 depending on if the truck is tillered or
        not. If I have missed anyone please forgive me and let me know. Hope that
        also helps. Roger Freely freelance photos.

        Also Scott Miller: Please contact me off group regarding my pics of the
        Santa Ana apartment fire of last year. Thanks

      • fpmatwork
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 12, 2004
          At the risk of starting a debate on the subject, why is the task
          force concept preferred over having two 3-man engines and one 4-man
          truck? You still get 10 personnel but you have three independent
          vehicles available to respond to three separate calls.

          -- In SoCalFire@yahoogroups.com, "Harry Marnell" <marnell@c...>
          wrote:
          > And the point of it is flexibility: a task force can be sent
          together to a
          > significant event requiring the personnel, or they can be
          instantly split up
          > into a light force for one lesser incident (e.g. car fire, trash,
          medical
          > aid ahead of an RA, etc) and the fully-staffed single engine for
          another
          > incident. When appropriate Engine 60 can respond alone to a call,
          and Truck
          > 60 with E260 to another.
          >
          > harry

        • ltdan63
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 12, 2004
            Thanks to everyone for the info, that helps alot!!
          • Derek Cutler
            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 13, 2004
              I'm not sure what the main reason that LAFD chooses to
              use Light forces is, but one is the fact that you have
              an engine responding with the truck at all times. That
              way you don't have a truck arriving at scene of a
              structure fire first before you have water. Sort of
              connected to this is a story a few years ago about
              Houston FD where they were not keeping up on the
              service of their quints because they already had
              engine companies, and they figured the engines would
              arrive first, and the pump and water on the quint
              would not be needed. Wrong.... The truck arrived
              first, and their pump (which had many problems in the
              past, and wasn't repaired), wouldn't engage. Due to
              this, persons trapped in the structure succumbed to
              the fire and smoke. (This was at least 6 years ago,
              but this is how I remember it going. Please correct me
              if you remember it a different way)

              LAFD prevents this from happening by responding a
              truck and pump together. The only place in LAFD where
              truck and pump (200 or 300) don't always respond
              together on a regular basis is station 9; where engine
              209 is a fully staffed engine and responds apart from
              the truck.

            • Mike Meadows
              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 13, 2004
                A task force is considered 2 companies...The truck is one and the engine
                is one. The pump runs with the truck and the engine runs as a single
                engine company unless it';s a structure response then the whole task
                force go's. Each company may run on a car or rubbish fire or a medical
                response..If it is a car/rubbish fire and the engine is out on a run,
                the truck or light force will go with the pump supplying the water....
                The task force concept is used because at structure fires only the
                engine and truck are actual working companies while the pump sits at the
                hydrent and....well...pumps water, thats it......
                If a triple arrives at the fire first, it will lay a line to the fire
                and the pump from the first incoming task force will spot the hydrent
                and pump the line the triple layed.
                At least this is what i've observed for about 30 years....heck, I
                could be wrong.

                fpmatwork wrote:

                > At the risk of starting a debate on the subject, why is the task
                > force concept preferred over having two 3-man engines and one 4-man
                > truck? You still get 10 personnel but you have three independent
                > vehicles available to respond to three separate calls.
                >
                > -- In SoCalFire@yahoogroups.com, "Harry Marnell" <marnell@c...>
                > wrote:
                > > And the point of it is flexibility: a task force can be sent
                > together to a
                > > significant event requiring the personnel, or they can be
                > instantly split up
                > > into a light force for one lesser incident (e.g. car fire, trash,
                > medical
                > > aid ahead of an RA, etc) and the fully-staffed single engine for
                > another
                > > incident. When appropriate Engine 60 can respond alone to a call,
                > and Truck
                > > 60 with E260 to another.
                > >
                > > harry

              • Mike Meadows
                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 13, 2004
                  Agreed Derek....years ago, a super market went up in flames 2 blocks
                  from my house..It was a Sunday morning around 10am and all were out
                  testing hydrents. The truck arrived first and all they could do was
                  ladder and forceable entry while waiting for ther engine.....that was
                  20-25 years ago...now the truck doesn't let the pump out of it;'s
                  sight...lol

                  Derek Cutler wrote:

                  > I'm not sure what the main reason that LAFD chooses to
                  > use Light forces is, but one is the fact that you have
                  > an engine responding with the truck at all times. That
                  > way you don't have a truck arriving at scene of a
                  > structure fire first before you have water. Sort of
                  > connected to this is a story a few years ago about
                  > Houston FD where they were not keeping up on the
                  > service of their quints because they already had
                  > engine companies, and they figured the engines would
                  > arrive first, and the pump and water on the quint
                  > would not be needed. Wrong.... The truck arrived
                  > first, and their pump (which had many problems in the
                  > past, and wasn't repaired), wouldn't engage. Due to
                  > this, persons trapped in the structure succumbed to
                  > the fire and smoke. (This was at least 6 years ago,
                  > but this is how I remember it going. Please correct me
                  > if you remember it a different way)
                  >

                  > LAFD prevents this from happening by responding a
                  > truck and pump together. The only place in LAFD where
                  > truck and pump (200 or 300) don't always respond
                  > together on a regular basis is station 9; where engine
                  > 209 is a fully staffed engine and responds apart from
                  > the truck.
                  >
                  > --- fpmatwork <fpmatwork@...> wrote:
                  > > At the risk of starting a debate on the subject, why
                  > > is the task
                  > > force concept preferred over having two 3-man
                  > > engines and one 4-man
                  > > truck? You still get 10 personnel but you have
                  > > three independent
                  > > vehicles available to respond to three separate
                  > > calls.
                  > >
                  > > -- In SoCalFire@yahoogroups.com, "Harry Marnell"
                  > > <marnell@c...>
                  > > wrote:
                  > > > And the point of it is flexibility: a task force
                  > > can be sent
                  > > together to a
                  > > > significant event requiring the personnel, or they
                  > > can be
                  > > instantly split up
                  > > > into a light force for one lesser incident (e.g.
                  > > car fire, trash,
                  > > medical
                  > > > aid ahead of an RA, etc) and the fully-staffed
                  > > single engine for
                  > > another
                  > > > incident. When appropriate Engine 60 can respond
                  > > alone to a call,
                  > > and Truck
                  > > > 60 with E260 to another.
                  > > >
                  > > > harry

                  [Click Here]Click Here

                  > Service.

                • Harry Marnell
                  Message 8 of 14 , Feb 13, 2004
                    Derek Cutler wrote:
                    > I'm not sure what the main reason that LAFD chooses to
                    > use Light forces is, but one is the fact that you have
                    > an engine responding with the truck at all times. That
                    > way you don't have a truck arriving at scene of a
                    > structure fire first before you have water.

                    Besides a truck's limitations due to having no water, a three-person
                    engine arriving at a structure fire would be unable to begin any kind of
                    interior attack or search/rescue (2 in / 2 out).

                    hm
                  • Tim Macias
                    Message 9 of 14 , Feb 13, 2004
                      The light force concept also varies as far as equipment
                      Monrovia Light Force 101 consists of T101 and Usar 101

                      Tim Macias
                      With out a doubt one of Americas Bravest

                      --- "Harry Marnell" <marnell@...> wrote:
                      Derek Cutler wrote:
                      > I'm not sure what the main reason that LAFD chooses to
                      > use Light forces is, but one is the fact that you have
                      > an engine responding with the truck at all times. That
                      > way you don't have a truck arriving at scene of a
                      > structure fire first before you have water.

                      Besides a truck's limitations due to having no water, a three-person
                      engine arriving at a structure fire would be unable to begin any kind of
                      interior attack or search/rescue (2 in / 2 out).

                      hm

                      Yahoo! Groups Links

                      THE HOLIDAYS ARE HERE: YOU NEED GIFTS!
                      Shop Now For Everything from Fire and EMS to Fun Stuff and Everything Else.
                      http://www.firehouse.com/shop
                      LOGON TODAY!