Re: [SoCalFire] Costs

  • Harry Marnell
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 1, 2003
      Let's also put this into a slightly larger perspective. Congress is
      about to give President Bush $87-billion of our (and our childrens' and
      grandchildrens') money to chase some terrible people and rebuild two
      entire countries in the middle east.

      Dang. Going with the current damage estimates, if those funds could
      have been diverted to California, they could have provided $32 MILLION
      (yes $32,000,000) worth of fire prevention, engines, and firefighters to
      EACH of the 2700 homes that has been destroyed. I'm no expert, but my
      gut instinct tells me that a homeowner with $32-mill would have been
      able to arrange a darn nice defensible space for his/her property and
      neighborhood, and squirted a few drops of water, gel or whatever if the
      flames did get close. And then afterwards, the thousands of pieces of
      firefighting equipment could have been distributed to a helluva lot of
      departments all around California... heck the whole country. (OUR
      country, that is, not that far-away one where we ain't wanted anyway).
      But as someone mentioned previously, everyone has slightly different
      priorities.

      Harry
      $32-million per home. Huh.