Ventura County, CA happenings

  • Smokey Behr
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 2, 2001
      Here's a few things that I learned talking to the Fire and S.O. people
      that were at the "Block Party" over the weekend:

      Fire: Each person on the engine has an HT, and when they step off the
      engine, their call becomes "Captain 51" "Engineer 51" and "Firefighter
      51" respectively. The same thing with a truck... "Truck Captain 51"
      "Truck Engineer 51" "Firefighter Truck 51 A" "Firefighter Truck 51 B".

      Hiring opens up for VNC on 6/4, so anyone in the area can submit an
      application to County Personnel at the Hall of Administration. The
      address is 800 S. Victoria Ave, between the US101 and SR126

      Sheriff: I got pix of their Mobile Command post and radios. One of the
      officers that was running around told me that they were going to get a
      new, high-tech MCP, and this one was going to be retired. The current
      MCP has radios to talk to just about everything. The labels on the
      radios were "CHP" "SLO CDF/OES" that were marked. When I get the pix
      back, I'll be able to take a closer look. They have a 4 line phone
      system including a fax machine in the MCP that runs off cellular
      phones. They probably have dialtone emulators to take care of that.

      They had the bomb squad trailer and robot out, and I asked them a
      bunch of questions. One thing that I got out of them is that most of
      their calls are for pipe bombs, and the new protocol is to evacuate
      the area and "neutralize-in-place" instead of removing the bomb to a
      safe location and exploding it there. The rationale behind that was to
      handle the device as little as possible. When they remove the bomb,
      they handle it at least 3 times, plus there's the move in the trailer,
      and the possibility of it being set off is greater. By taking care of
      it in-place, there's considerably more control.

      General: I got a whole bunch of pix, and when I get them develpoed,
      I'll scan them in and post them, either on the SoCalFire webpage, or
      to the SoCalFire list.

      --
      John "Smokey Behr" Gleichweit
      mailto:n5vzq@...