Fw: 800-band in Fire Service

  • Harry Marnell
    Message 1 of 1 , May 31, 2001
      Please respond to:

      <randall.larson@...>

      regarding the message below:
      >>> Randall.Larson@c... 5/30/01 3:19:24 AM >>>
      Pls forward any responses to me - an associate in Illinois is asking:

      I am looking for fire departments that are using the 800 mhz radio system
      in the dispatch centers. Our city has been using Motorola 800 trunking for
      about 2 years, it works for police but the fire department wants to trash
      the system and go back to using high band. I am just trying to do some
      research to see if other agencies are having the same problems.

      Details:
      The fireman carrying pagers which are high band that they are toned out on.
      The actual call is then handled on the 800 mhz. They receive feed back from
      their pagers. They are also complaining about feedback from other areas
      which does not come across on my tape recordings but they have had a
      negative attitude towards the change from the very beginning.They advise
      they can not hear what is going on when they are in a building but when it
      is tested you can hear fine. They claim the 800 radio's have too many
      buttons and it is too complicated for them to worry about different talk
      groups and having to change to different channels. Asking if any other
      departments have any policies on how they are to handle their dispatching
      using the 800system.

      I suspect the problem may be more user/command-generated than equipment, but
      if you'll reply with any relevant data or SOPs that you have I'll forward
      them on to the requestor.

      Thanks - Randall/SJFire

      --
      Patricia E. Gibbons