Re: [SoCalFire] Re: Fires and state names

  • inlandnews@aol.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 30, 2002
      To cap this argument once and for all....the Louisiana IC was named after the
      the license plates of the vehicle which did have Louisiana plates. The
      vehicle information came directly from a CHP commander I spoke to at the
      scene. and also for the record as a media agency I do not use this list to
      report OFFICIAL information in our reports. OFFICIAL information will ALWAYS
      come from the BC or other fire official and secondary information will ALWAYS
      be QUOTED from direct witnesses...I dont know who wrote newspaper articles
      about fires now being named after the 50 states but that sure is some wrong
      information.

      SHAUN

      (where flames are followed by incident numbers, locations and equipment
      rundowns)

    • bb911
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 1, 2002
        LA Times made error about states names twice! I believe that they
        quoted 2 different USFS office persons (once each). Very strange.
        Thanks for your info.. Perhaps some Fire contacts you know can
        contact LA Times.

        -- In SoCalFire@y..., inlandnews@a... wrote:
        > To cap this argument once and for all....the Louisiana IC was named
        after the
        > the license plates of the vehicle which did have Louisiana plates.
        The
        > vehicle information came directly from a CHP commander I spoke to
        at the
        > scene. and also for the record as a media agency I do not use this
        list to
        > report OFFICIAL information in our reports. OFFICIAL information
        will ALWAYS
        > come from the BC or other fire official and secondary information
        will ALWAYS
        > be QUOTED from direct witnesses...I dont know who wrote newspaper
        articles
        > about fires now being named after the 50 states but that sure is
        some wrong
        > information.
        >

        > SHAUN
        >

        > (where flames are followed by incident numbers, locations and
        equipment
        > rundowns)

      • John
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 2, 2002
          I haven't been following this closely since I was *at*
          the Louisiana Fire. I'm not sure what the "error" the
          LA Times made was.

          What I can tell you is the discussion about the name
          that was in the transition meeting about 3 hours ago
          when my team returned the incident to the local
          forest. Incidently, the initial attack IC is also an
          ops chief on my team, so I got the story straight from
          the horses mouth, so to speak.

          Paraphrased from the Division Chief for that area...
          The district has a lot of fires in that area.
          Geographical names are nice, but don't include a time
          reference. So... they use themes based on a time
          frame. States for a while, Civil War Generals for a
          while. Whatever. The IA IC picked Louisiana because
          he's from the South.

          He said nothing to me about LA plates on the car, and
          in fact, I'm sure didn't even look at the car that
          closely. He had a few other things on his mind.

          Hope that puts this to rest.

          JF

          --- bb911 <bb911@...> wrote:
          > LA Times made error about states names twice! I
          > believe that they
          > quoted 2 different USFS office persons (once each).
          > Very strange.
          > Thanks for your info.. Perhaps some Fire contacts
          > you know can
          > contact LA Times.
          >

          > -- In SoCalFire@y..., inlandnews@a... wrote:
          > > To cap this argument once and for all....the
          > Louisiana IC was named
          > after the
          > > the license plates of the vehicle which did have
          > Louisiana plates.
          > The
          > > vehicle information came directly from a CHP
          > commander I spoke to
          > at the
          > > scene. and also for the record as a media agency I
          > do not use this
          > list to
          > > report OFFICIAL information in our reports.
          > OFFICIAL information
          > will ALWAYS
          > > come from the BC or other fire official and
          > secondary information
          > will ALWAYS
          > > be QUOTED from direct witnesses...I dont know who
          > wrote newspaper
          > articles
          > > about fires now being named after the 50 states
          > but that sure is
          > some wrong
          > > information.
          > >

          > > SHAUN
          > >

          > > (where flames are followed by incident numbers,
          > locations and
          > equipment
          > > rundowns)

          > removed]

          http://sbc.yahoo.com
        • bb911
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 2, 2002
            I thought the issue had been cleared up. After your post the issue is
            still alive and kicking. Sorry, but the LA license plate seems to
            make the most sense to those of us who have been scanning for many
            decades. This doesn't mean that you might be correct. Who knows!?

          • bb911
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 5, 2002
              Saw USFS Patrol officer and his new new white pickup (didn't have
              water tank or hose reel yet) at the WTC wreckage and Fire
              truck "display" at Chaffey Comm. College in Rancho Cuca.,
              yesterday . He confirmed that the Louisiana Fire was in fact named
              after the license plate on the vehicle that started it.

              Also saw "older" green USFS patrol vehicle, which was interesting
              because it was from KNF (Klamath Nat. Forest). Down in this area to
              help out until Monday.

              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 5, 2002
                Maybe they should rename the fires in Arizona and Colorado after the turkeys
                that started those? Just an afterthought?
                Ed