GEOMAC: almost-real-time fire maps online

  • Harry Marnell
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 10 2:36 PM
      Now THIS is cool (so to speak):

      Go to http://wildfire.usgs.gov/ for "GEOMAC" on almost-real-time mapping
      site for allocating firefighting resources...there's a drop-down to select
      which active fire you're interested in.

      Per the page: GeoMAC is an internet based mapping application, originally
      designed for firefighting coordination centers and incident command teams to
      access online maps of current fire locations and perimeters using standard
      web browsers such as Netscape Communicator or Microsoft Internet Explorer.
      However, with the growing concern of the western wildland fires, we are
      offering the application to the general public. We hope that you find this
      important information both timely and helpful.
      --signed The GeoMAC Team"

      Harry
      http://www.snowcrest.net/marnells/lafire.htm <<~~ Southern California Fire
      Comms, Links & headlines

      According to Robert Plantrich, Incident Commander for the GeoMAC, "The
      initial goal of the GeoMAC is to implement an Internet-based map
      application to aid in the allocation of firefighting resources to the
      most critical incidents. These maps will enable fire personnel to
      obtain a quick snapshot of near real-time fire hazards."