Re: [SoCalFire] LA City: Mandeville Canyon

  • newnethboy
    Message 1 of 19 , Sep 5, 2011
      LAFD announcement at 1841 says 10+ acres, 20% containment.

      Message 2 of 19 , Sep 6, 2011
        From LAFD, 1706 Tuesday:
        "
        *UPDATE: 3682 Mandeville Cyn Rd* Aerial survery of *Mandeville Fire*
        concludes approx 40 acres, 80% contained. Grnd and air crews worked hotspots
        all day . Will maintain watch overnight. No injuries reported. No structures
        threatened. - Matt Spence###
        "

      • Fizzboy7@aol.com

          Mandeville is a done deal at 5 acres..there was no other fire...
          On Sep 5, 2011, at 4:34 PM, newnethboy wrote:

          > New starts along I-405 in Sepulveda Pass (improvement-exposures) and in
          > Mandeville Canyon (much bigger, but no immediate exposures).

          <*> Your email settings:
              Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
              (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
              SoCalFire-digest@yahoogroups.com
              SoCalFire-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • newnethboy
          Message 4 of 19 , Sep 7, 2011
            From LAFD, 1415 Wed:
            "
            *UPDATE: 3682 Mandeville Cyn Rd* Mandeville Fire is 100% contained at 40
            acres. No structures damaged. No injuries reported. LAFD remains on scene of
            this lengthy mop-up ensuring no hotspots. - Erik Scott###
            "
          • Fizzboy7@aol.com

              Message 6 of 19 , Sep 7, 2011
                Really, they are still out there for a 40 acre fire....why?

                To: SoCalFire@yahoogroups.com

                Message 7 of 19 , Sep 7, 2011
                  Because thats what they do! Making sure every snag, every twig is OUT!

                  To: SoCalFire@yahoogroups.com

                  Message 8 of 19 , Sep 7, 2011
                    Right.

                    And first of all, this thing is on a very steep hillside; you could ladder
                    the thing like a roof! It's a shame LAFD can't teach mountain goats to fight
                    fires. :)

                    SoCalFire-Owner@yahoogroups.com

                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • Donald Timothy Tribble
                    Message 9 of 19 , Sep 7, 2011
                      Lessons learned fro the Oakland Hills Fire in '91. There is also a Red Flag Warning in place from 3PM to 6AM Thursday for LA and surrounding counties.

                      Sent by Tim's BB Bold 9700 via T-Mobile

                      From: Craig Doppmann <cdoppmann13@...>
                      Sender: SoCalFire@yahoogroups.com
                      Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2011 14:36:56 -0700
                      To: <socalfire@yahoogroups.com>
                      ReplyTo: SoCalFire@yahoogroups.com

                      Really, they are still out there for a 40 acre fire....why?

                      To: SoCalFire@yahoogroups.com

                      Message 10 of 19 , Sep 7, 2011
                        Sounds more political to me...I have worked fires along side of LAFD when I was with the Forest Service and they never did much in the way of 100% mop-up, but hey good for them, just seems like an extended length of time for only 40 acres.

                        To: SoCalFire@yahoogroups.com
                        From: kd6mdv@...
                        Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2011 22:55:59 +0000

                        From: Craig Doppmann <cdoppmann13@...>
                        Sender: SoCalFire@yahoogroups.com
                        Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2011 14:36:56 -0700
                        To: <socalfire@yahoogroups.com>

                        To: SoCalFire@yahoogroups.com

                        Message 11 of 19 , Sep 7, 2011
                          Wildland Firefighters are mountain goats lol!

                          Message 12 of 19 , Sep 7, 2011
                            They also have 3 LA County Camp crews with them.

                            To: SoCalFire@yahoogroups.com
                            From: kd6mdv@...
                            Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2011 22:55:59 +0000

                            From: Craig Doppmann <cdoppmann13@...>
                            Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2011 14:36:56 -0700

                            Really, they are still out there for a 40 acre fire....why?

                            To: SoCalFire@yahoogroups.com

                            Message 13 of 19 , Sep 7, 2011
                              What you see is what they said. I haven't heard anything about a
                              cause--might be on the news.

                              > In a message dated 9/7/2011 2:20:51 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
                              > kef413@... writes:
                              >
                              > From LAFD, 1415 Wed:
                              > "
                              > *UPDATE: 3682 Mandeville Cyn Rd* Mandeville Fire is 100% contained at 40
                              > acres. No structures damaged. No injuries reported. LAFD remains on scene
                              > of
                              > this lengthy mop-up ensuring no hotspots. - Erik Scott###
                              > "

                              > Yahoo! Groups Links

                            • John Palmer
                              Message 14 of 19 , Sep 7, 2011
                                A 15 year old kid smoking a cigar behind his house.

                                What you see is what they said. I haven't heard anything about a
                                cause--might be on the news.

                                > In a message dated 9/7/2011 2:20:51 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
                                > kef413@... writes:
                                >
                                > From LAFD, 1415 Wed:
                                > "
                                > *UPDATE: 3682 Mandeville Cyn Rd* Mandeville Fire is 100% contained at 40
                                > acres. No structures damaged. No injuries reported. LAFD remains on scene
                                > of
                                > this lengthy mop-up ensuring no hotspots. - Erik Scott###
                                > "

                                > Yahoo! Groups Links

                              • gemcohauler
                                Message 15 of 19 , Sep 8, 2011
                                  Oh, I don't know, because that area has $1 - $10 million homes for miles in every direction, and their property taxes pay for most of the city?

                                  >>>Really, they are still out there for a 40 acre fire....why?
                                • Kim Noyes
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Sep 9, 2011

                                    Smokers Started Mandeville Canyon Fire

                                    The fire burned about 40 acres Monday afternoon

                                    By Jonathan Lloyd
                                    |  Friday, Sep 9, 2011  |  Updated 6:20 AM PDT
                                    Two smokers accidentally started a 40-acre brush fire earlier this week in the Mandeville Canyon area, according to fire officials.

                                    The two men were smoking in the area above Brentwood, said Brian Humphrey of the Los Angeles Fire Department. The fire was reported at about 4 p.m. Monday in the 3600 block of Mandeville Canyon Road.

                                    The fire was 100-percent contained Wednesday afternoon.

                                    Two firefighters were hospitalized. No structures were damaged.

                                    A stretch of the road was closed during the fire fight.

                                    Source: http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/Smokers-Started-Mandeville-Canyon-Fire-LA-Fire-129523368.html?__source=Newsletter-Daily

                                    On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 2:24 PM, <Fizzboy7@...> wrote:

                                    Any mention of a cause?

                                    Jason